Thread: Ebony SW23 vs SW45..roll film backs, etc

Ebony SW23 vs SW45..roll film backs, etc

Hello,

I currently use an ebony SW45 for both rollfilm 69 and 54.

For a particular project I need the movements of these cameras (specifically the tilt and swing of the lens plate) but in a smaller package so am looking at the SW23..it would involve trading my 45 for it but no problems there..I still have an older 54 monorail for the 54 shoots.

Now two simple question:

1. In use is the SW23 really more compact, lighter, etc than the SW45?

2.The rollfilm back I use on the SW45 is a horseman 69 roll film holder that has the large plate on it to fit the 54 size back.
    Can I use this same holder on the SW23 by removing the back plate or would I need a new rollfilm holder made speciafically for the smaller back of the SW23?

Thanks,

Marc

www.marcwilson.co.uk

Re: Ebony SW23 vs SW45..roll film backs, etc

Hi Marc
    I suspect you'd need a 2x3 specific or "baby grafloc" film holder, otherwise Horseman would not bother manufacturing both sorts -but I might be wrong.

I also have a SW45 and have been considering an SW23 as a travelling camera. There are three things that have kept me (so far) from buying one.

The SW23 is slightly smaller and slightly lighter than the SW45, but the weight of Horseman's or Wista's "baby grafloc" 6x9 roll film holders is not similarly smaller (I have a Wista 6x7 holder that feels actually heavier than my Horseman 6x12!). In other words, the SW45 with a Quickload holder might be very close in weight (if not lighter) to a SW23 + rollfilm holder. If you only use rollfilm holders on your SW45 this might be of no relevance, except for the fact that you'll be forsaking the possibility of using 6x12 and 6x17 holders.

The widest you can go on the SW45 (38mm + 6x12, or 47XL + 4x5") is wider than a 35mm on the SW23: if you do architectural work in Europe's narrow streets that is an important point to consider.

Finally, when doing landscapes I use a black T-shirt as a darkcloth, but when I do architectural photography I like to be aware of what is going on around me, so I use Robert White's focusing bellows with a magnifier, which is a very compact, light alternative to a darkcloth. As far as I know, there isn't such a thing for a 6x9 camera, apart from Silvestri's and Linhof's bag bellows style lupes, which I find uncomfortable to use. A Horseman 6x9 reflex finder would add a lot of bulk to the outfit.

Having said all this, I'm sure that if I had the SW23 I'd soon find it as useful and as delightful to work with as the SW45 -it is just that I don't think it is that different.

I hope someone who has actually worked with both cameras might chime in.