Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CF tripods-a hook or not?

lazy retired bum

CF tripods-a hook or not?

I am contemplating a new tripod for my Arca F-line Field. The two candidates are the Gitzo 3530S, which I believe is the 1325 replacement, and the 3530. The "S" model does not have a center column and weighs a bit less, 11 oz, and costs a bit less. The 3530 has a removable center column. The shorter height is not a problem for me as I am short and use an Arca ball head which elevates the camera. I have seen and played with the 3530S in my local emporium; for the 3530, I have only the internet.

My issue between them, they have the same diameter tubes as best I can tell, is the presence, in the 3530, or absence, in the S model, of the hook. Should I get the 3530, I'll likely remove the center post anyway, so the 11 oz weight difference is probably minimal.

Do those of you using the 1325 or its newer incarnation the 3530S, miss having a hook to hang some weight on for additional stability?

Thanks for any responses.

Eric

Re: CF tripods-a hook or not?

Eric,

If you want, you can remove the center screw that the head mounts to and replace it with an eye-bolt. Some tripods have a locking pin to prevent the bolt from turning, so you may have to remove it or clean up the threads with a tap, or simply buy a replacement plate w/o the screw.

I did this on my 1348 although I've now gone back to the original design for several reasons. One is that the eye-bolt, at 3/8 inch is heavy. Secondly, my camera bag is usually too heavy to hang from the hook since I hike and the bag also has lunch, raingear, water, etc in it.

Finally, I didn't like the idea of suspending the rest of my gear near the edge of rivers, cliffs, and other hazards such that if something broke, fell over, or even out of the bag it would be a loss. You can carry a plastic grocery sack and scavenge for rocks if you like, but that extends your set up time with frequently little benefit.

I could certainly use a lighter tripod than the 1348 with 4x5, but that's the one I like. I can use it with a mid-weight 8x10 with care as it gets a bit top heavy, but I can still hike with it. My advice is to get the proper size tripod to balance with your camera and forget about the hook.

Steve

I use the 1325 with an Arca Swiss Discovery and I have no problem with stability. On the other hand, I am not in the habit of taking photographs during a hurricane

I have used Gitzos with the flat top plate for the last several years and I personally do not miss the hook. These tripods are so rigid they really don't need the extra weight.

However, if you find you do miss the hook, the brass 3/8ths bolt in the flat plate is pinned into place is relatively easy to break the pin and remove the bolt. Then simply replace it with a 3/8ths threaded eye bolt that you've opened the eye on and can use as a hook. I did that the first time and ended up using it once or twice only. I've since put the regular brass bolt back and use it normally.

Cheers,
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    ...the brass 3/8ths bolt in the flat plate is pinned into place is relatively easy to break the pin and remove the bolt.
    It certainly is, I managed to separate the bolt from its head just last week, by accident, or rather stupidity

Now I'm looking for a replacement, but the ones that I've come across so far are steel, and I'm a bit warry of screwing my Arca-Swiss ballhead onto a steel, rather than brass, bolt.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Also, I'm finding that not all 3/8" threads are the same. Some thread properly into the ballhead, and some don't.

Hanging? You are resting the bag on the ground so that it cannot swing from the hook, aren't you? Just hanging stuff from the hook is going to create more movement, at least unless there is no wind at all - at which point you do not have movement anyway, so why bother?

Eric,

Check out Shelson N's picture #4 on page 3 of this thread:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...highlight=PACK

I have short (hooked) center columns on all my Gitzo tripods, but this approach illustrated in the photo should save weight and money.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Also, I'm finding that not all 3/8" threads are the same. Some thread properly into the ballhead, and some don't.
    You need 3/8ths National COARSE (NC), AKA 3/8-16. Avaialble at most hardware stores in brass. I have also used stainless steel without issue. Stainless is softer than regular steel and won't rust; never ruined a head with it.

Cheers,
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    You need 3/8ths National COARSE (NC), AKA 3/8-16. Avaialble at most hardware stores in brass. I have also used stainless steel without issue. Stainless is softer than regular steel and won't rust; never ruined a head with it.
    Thanks, very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Richards View Post
    Hanging? You are resting the bag on the ground so that it cannot swing from the hook, aren't you? Just hanging stuff from the hook is going to create more movement, at least unless there is no wind at all - at which point you do not have movement anyway, so why bother?
    You sure about that?