Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Mount a Copal 3 lens on my Toyo 45AX?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How to Mount a Copal 3 lens on my Toyo 45AX?

I have a Toyo 45AX. Now I am getting the superb new Schneider Apo Tele Xenar 400 /5.6 Compact lens. This is not huge lens but does have a Copal #3 shutter.

Is there anyway to make lens this fit on my Toyo 45AX? Toyo does not make a #3 l ensboard for the 45AX. Is the diameter of the #3 hole more than the 110mm of the lensboard? Is that why?

I can get a Linhof Technika lensboard in #3. And can also get a Linhof to Toyo a dapter. Will this solution work?

Please help! I am desperate as I have already ordered and paid for the lens!

Thank you!

Any machinist can drill any size hole you want in a blank board. You can get adjustable hole cutters to fit any drill press. It ought to be a five minute job. Lens boards aren't rocket science, even though some companies would have you believe they are to justify obscene prices for them.

One thing I forgot to mention is that Toyo does sell a blank lensboard. But who one earth do you drill a hole into it? Is there a company out there that can drill a hole?

Steve Grimes at www.skgrimes.com will drill lensboards.

Seems a lot has already been said while I was preparing my answer!

Paul,

The 45AX is identical to the 45AII with the exception of the revolving back. The maximum extension is 321mm. I also have a 100mm extension back so I should be able to use the lens for some nice portraits too. I don't want the extension too much in the front beacause like you said that will upset the balance and it is a heavy lens.

Thanks.

Sol, this back extension seems great! I wish there was a similar back (or front) extension for the VX!

"I wish there was a similar back (or front) extension for the VX!"

There is if you have the Technika adapter board. It is made by Wista

John,

Thank you! You saved me a lot of hassle. So it IS available after all. It is amazing that the Toyo web site, which is very comprehensive does not list this lensboard.

I will be ordering it from B&H on Tuesday.

Thanks!

Thanks Bob,

<<"I wish there was a similar back (or front) extension for the VX!" There is if you have the Technika adapter board. It is made by Wista >>

Yes, I mentioned it above. But the Toyo back extension has an advantage in that it allows for some movements without vignetting It might also be safer to weaken the back side rather than the front side, knowing that the front has to absorb the shutter shake. Giving it a second thought however, I fear it would act as a lever on the monorail standard and false the focus, especially with an added rol lfilm back. Shouldn't this kind of extension work great on the back of a Technik a? But it would require a spring-back fitting on one side and therefore would be expensive. The Toyo extension for A II is simple and back packable but expensiv e. You can have a long bellows and rail extension for that price, but the implem entation is not as easy.