Thread: What is the closest to Kodak Elite?

What is the closest to Kodak Elite?

A few years back, Kodak produced a graded paper called Elite. It was a fabulous paper. Does anyone here remember that paper well enough to suggest any that might come closest to its character?
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Re: What is the closest to Kodak Elite?

John Sexton consulted with Kodak and played a large part in the final look and feel of this too-short-lived paper. I own a Sexton print done on Elite and I suspect that the closest (existing) paper might be Ilford Multigrade but I know of no other paper with the unique "color" of Elite. It was indeed a really good looking paper but the cardboard-like feel of the triple weight needed some getting used to in the darkroom.

Re: What is the closest to Kodak Elite?

I haven't seen anything similar. It was introduced about the time I got really serious about b/w printing, and it was a very good paper. It was farr better than Kodak's other papers and I preferred it to Ilford Galerie. I loved the triple-weight base and learned to deal with the dry-down. The only paper I liked better was Oriental Seagull, (which didn't look the same) but was hard to get and more expensive. But then I live in Rochester and worked for EK in those days. The funny thing was that when EK brought out Polymax Fine-Art... I tried it and printing just became easier. Where Elite was a struggle, my negs printed quickly on PFA, and they looked just beautiful. I *wanted* the Elite to be better, but it didn't show up in the final prints. So I switched over, and didn't even bother to stock up on Elite when it was discontinued. (I don't miss the two-developer method for contrast control, either.) I suppose it was just a matter of the paper's curve shape vs. my negatives and printing style; I wish both of those papers were still around.