Thread: Wide angle lens recommendations

Wide angle lens recommendations

Seeing some of Jack Flesher's and others' recent postings of images from wide angle lenses has wetted my apetite for something in the 50-75mm range, probably closer to 50. I often find myself trying to stretch my 90, without success. New lenses seem to start at $1200 plus, well beyond my budget. I'm looking for recommendations for lenses that I might find used and that are a good value for the money.

Also, is it likely that I will need to use a center filter on lenses this wide? Jack F., did you use one on the 58mm lens images you recently posted? Is multi-coating even more important on lenses that take in more light? What other questions do I need to ask or need to have answers for as I start my search? I have a little credit with Midwest Photo Exchange and I might ask Jim to keep an eye out for something but want to have an idea in advance of what I'm looking for. Thanks.

Re: Wide angle lens recommendations

I used to own a 58mm Super Angulon XL, which I was very happy with, although if I had to do it over again I probably would have purchased a 55mm APO Grandagon (reportedly slightly better MTF performance than the Schneider). For B&W or color neg film you could get away with not using a CF (some folks like using the light falloff for compositional advantage), although for chrome film I would find it mandatory.

IIRC the 58mm has been going for around $750-800 used, whereas the 55mm sells for around $850 or so. The Schneider 3b CF is expensive, though, selling for around $300 used lately (I understand the Schneider CF can also be used on the Rodenstock 55).

In general, multi-coating versus single-coating produces only incremental improvements in resolution and contrast, unless you shoot directly into the sun or have a lot of reflected light in your image. I've never used a single coated WA lens, so I can't directly make comparisons. Normally a good lens hood helps single-coated lenses make wonderful, high contrast images, but ultra WA lenses are more problematic for lens hoods (they don't provide very much light protection due to vignetting issues) so perhaps multi-coating might be more of an issue. I have also heard that the more recent WA lens designs contain significant performance improvements versus earlier designs (more so than normal or long lenses). But this is only hearsay and I of course would defer to someone with more direct information or experience.

Don, my experience is that you usually do need the center filter as ERic noted. I was shooting with the 58 SA XL on Sunday and the one shot I made without the CF has jus ttoo much falloff in the corners to be acceptable to me (film was Polaroid T55). However, it does depend on the subject matter. There are some images I have made on Astia and Velvia where the lack of a CF didn't detract and was easy to deal with .. some not a lot .

Eric, you are in the right ballpark on price but I think maybe around 10% low these days.

I like jumping from a 90mm to a 65mm.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Don Boyd View Post
    Jack F., did you use one on the 58mm lens images you recently posted? Is multi-coating even more important on lenses that take in more light? What other questions do I need to ask or need to have answers for as I start my search?
    Yes, I did use the Schneider center filter all the time with that lens. Like Ted and Eric, I feel the 58 XL and 55 APO Grandagon (and 47XL) definitely need the center filter at all times, especially if you are going to shoot chromes.

RE multicoating, I think the larger issue is color cast. Some of the older, single-coated lenses I have tried had odd -- and significantly different -- color-casts than my contemporary glass. This seems to have evened out significantly with the introduction of multi-coating.

Other considerations: I do not usually use the CF with my 65 in landscapes, though I definitely carry the filter just in case. It looks fine to my eye straight on, but you will definitely see falloff if you add much shift -- though even there I do not find it objectionable. Also, the 65 IC allows for quite a bit of mevement for a wideangle, while the 55/58 (and 47) pretty much don't have any IC to spare over the basic 4x5 frame. Like walter, I find the "gap" between 65 and 90 comfortable, but it isn't quite as uniquely "wide" as the 55/58.

Hope this helps,
    Last edited by Jack Flesher; 24-Apr-2007 at 15:10.
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Hi Jack
    "Yes, I did use the Schneider center filter all the time with that lens. Like Ted and Eric, I feel the 58 XL and 55 APO Grandagon (and 47XL) definitely need the center filter at all times, especially if you are going to shoot chromes. "
    I'm almost never use the SF on my XL 47mm und 55 mm APO Grandagon!
    I would say from 20 times I use it 1 time!
    But I trie not to use much movements!
    Kind regard, Armin Seeholzer

Thanks Ted, Walter, Jack and Armin. Given my budget considerations, I may be better off opting for a 65mm that is less likely to need a center filter. I'm going to start looking around.

55mm and 58mm are REALLY wide. I've read many accounts from folks here who acquired such a lens and hardly used it. A center filter is (by most accounts) a necessity for chromes, and the respective image circles of these lenses are TIGHT on 4X5.

I think you might be better off with a 65mm - you'll probably still want to invest in a center filter if you shoot chromes.

Have you shot with a 75mm yet? Maybe 75mm is wide enough for your vision! (but you'll probably still want to invest in a center filter.) The current Fuji has the greatest infinity focus of the other modern 75mm lenses and may help you to avoid "gymnastics" in the field, depending on you camera.

And then there is the (heavy and spendy) 72mm Schneider.