Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Componon Fungus?

Componon Fungus?

I came across an 80mm/5.6 Componon in a shop on a recent business trip. It looke d to be in very good condition and at $45 I thought I could use it. Closer inspe ction after returning home shows what may be fungus. The front and rear glass su rfaces are crystal clear but when held up to a bright light an internal glas sur face looks like it has a uniform coating of white speckles. It appears that the speckles are uniform across the glass. Is this fungus? Or is it dust or a degrad ation of the coating? The lens is an older chrome barrle version with serial num bers indicating the late 50s I think. I haven't had a chance to use it yet since my darkroom is still in the remodeling phase. Is it worth having the lens clean ed?

Componon Fungus?

I guess your lens is truly a Schneider Componon. (Sorry, couldn't resist it.)

Componon Fungus?

I should clarify, the marks look more like spider webs perhaps than specs. Could it be aging of the coatings or something?

Componon Fungus?

I had a similar discovery looking through a 25 years old G-Claron I recently bou ght. If you look under "lenses" the thread "Haze in lens", you might get some useful informations. I my case, I was able to identify what I saw as "bloom" thanks to the kind contributors. If what you see is invisible when you look straight to a light source, but visible when you look to a dark surface with a l ight source nearby, it could well be the same phenomenon.

Componon Fungus?

I couldn't find the above referenced "haze" thread. There are several past thre ads about lenses. Paul, could you be more specific. Or does anyone else know whe re to look? Thanks, njb

Componon Fungus?

"Haze in lens" : last "lenses" group at bottom of page, actually 18th thread. I have not found a way to properly insert an HTML link in the dialog boxes of this forum so far. If someon e could help me?

Componon Fungus?

If the marks look like tiny spiderwebs, it's fungus.

Componon Fungus?

Paul:

I'm not sure what you mean. It is just straight HTML

&lt a href="http,etc" &gt site name &lt /a &gt

You may mean something else.

Componon Fungus?

Your link is:

Fungal lenses

If this is what you want, you can see page view.

Z

Componon Fungus?

Z, see, this is how it comes out when I shift the active link onto the dialog bo x. It just isn't an active link any more! :http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=003Bc5