Thread: Feisol tripod size

Feisol tripod size

I received my new Feisol tripod, 3371 which is rated at 12 kg. This is more than I need for my rig; my 5x7 camera with my heaviest lens weighs 9 lbs. add 2 1/2 lbs. more for my geared head and I'm up to 11 1/2 lbs. Most of the recommendations I've read here are to get a tripod rated at about twice the weight of your rig.

I'm now having second thought about getting this size tripod, maybe I should get the smaller, lighter 3301 which is rated for 7 kg. and sell this one. Strong wind is not an issue with my type of outings though hiking is. Helpful comments welcomed.

chris

Re: Feisol tripod size

Another consideration is a lighter head. You would save 1.8 lb by moving to the other Feisol, you could also save 1.5 lb by moving to a light ball-head, such as the Acratech.

For hiking I use a Gitzo 1227, which is in the same class as the Feisol 3301. I use it for my 3 lb Toho, so obviously weight is not a problem.

On occasion I have put a 10 lb 5x7 on the 1227. With that much weight it is much more susceptible to vibration, but viable without wind.

Assuming the 3301 is as rigid as the 1227 and wind was not a factor, I would use the 3301 for hiking with a 5x7; but if you can handle the extra weight, or lighten your load with a lighter head, the 3371 would be a more versatile solution.

I have the 3301. It's an excellent tripod though I've been using mine with a Canon 5D digital camera and haven't yet tried it with my 4x5 (Tachihara). One thing to keep in mind is the height of the tripod. The 3301 is a little shorter than I'd like with a digital camera, I'm 5' 11" and have to bend over a little more than I'd like witht the digital camera. That might not be a problem with a 4x5 since the center of the ground glass will be a good bit higher than the viewfinder in a digital camera. However, it's something to consider before switching to the 3301.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Thanks Ron and Brian. I'll keep the 3371.

I happen to have the 3471 for my Sinar and Canon 5D. I don't regret in getting an "oversized" tripod a bit. They don't weight that much to begin with. It's a lot lighter than my old Gitzo Cremelliere 3. I do like the shorter leg sections the 3471 has over the 3371 for carrying.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.