Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: San Francisco bay area - rainy day ideas...

San Francisco bay area - rainy day ideas...

Well, I've got a new lens due to be delivered today and I am dying to get out this weekend to run some light through it.

Of course it's due to rain in the bay area this weekend. I'm not yet sure of the extent of the rain - perhaps if I head south or towards the central valley I might be able to escape it, but I doubt it.

I'm trying to think of some decent indoor photographic ideas around here. but can't think of any. Fort Point by the bridge is good, but I was there last weekend.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
    Phil

Terence

Re: San Francisco bay area - rainy day ideas...

If it's not a heavy rain, Muir Woods usually gives enough cover. And the subdued light is great for bringing out the various shades of color and varieties of texture.

Ok, that's not a bad idea, Terence.
    In that case I would just have to judge the rain the morning of.

Any more...?

Rain? RAIN? Come to Oregon if you want to deal with rain. Get a plastic trash bag and make a coat for your camera and lens.
    It's the wind thats bothersum!

If the rain is light -- and misty like it probably will be, GG park has some relatively remote areas that make great misty landscapes...

The other option is to head south -- like to Carmel and Point Lobos and escape the rain altogether.

Or head up to Yosemite and be there as the storm clears
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

I'd sure consider Point Lobos if the rain doesn't make it down that far. I can never get enough of that park. (Anyway, different lens, different day - always something new, right?)

And to Robert: Point taken from the Oregonian. Of course I'm not complaining about the rain so much as I'm trying to escape it! ;-)

keep going...

Muir Woods would be fabulous in the rain, especially in color. Some of the fortifications in Marin Headlands would be neat (Battery 129 in particular).

What about Alcatraz?

Or just spend the afternoon in the DeYoung being inspired by what other people have done.

Scott Davis

There's also Point Reyes National Seashore. I bet you could get some spectacular stuff even if or especially if the weather is really stormy and lousy. I was also going to suggest the batteries in the Marin Headlands, but Louie beat me to it. There's some nice ocean scenes on the beaches near San Gregorio. Drive down to San Gregorio, and cross over the mountain on La Honda road. There's some great scenery on both sides of that ridge. Stop off at Alice's Restaurant for lunch, and shoot the bikers and their bikes in the parking lot.

These are all great suggestions. In fact, Scott, Point Reyes then south to San Gregorio, over the hill to Woodside is my normal "loop" (Point Arena, when I have the time!)

I guess what am looking for are ideas of where to go when the weather is such that outdoor photography would be all but impossible. For example, something with a good deal of character and out of the elements (sort of like Fort Point, as I mentioned). I imagine there are plenty of places like that that I am simply not aware of (of not thinking of).

Of course if the weather allows I'll certainly be in one of the above mentioned places...

Everybody forgets the delta area. Shorter distances, and great opportunities. The east bay has lots to offer. Nye canyon for the Railroads, Lindsay museum for the outdoor farm stuff, Mt. Diablo, Black Diamond mine, The Naval graveyard storage area on the way to Benicia, Old town Pittsburg and Antioch. plenty of places. Sutro Gardens and the old abandoned bath area are excellent as well on the peninsula