Thread: Sextons' Recollections: WOW!

Sextons' Recollections: WOW!

I just got my copy of Sexton's Recollections, and all I can say is WOW! I got it after looking at part of it in Lens Work, and it looks even better in the book. The quality of his printing is just outstanding, and the technical details in the back are just a great extra feature. It has got me thinking of going back to my 4x5, after giving up on it. I'd be curious to hear people's comments on Sexton's workshops, any quick and easy tips you have gleaned from his work. Those of you who haven't seen his new book, take a look at a bookstore or library, really great quality printing.

Re: Sextons' Recollections: WOW!

Nice book, that. Sexton does good work, no question.

Bruce Watson

Eric Biggerstaff

I took a two week workshop with John and Anne that was outstanding. Perhaps the only time I have ever been able to do nothing but my photography for that long of a period. We would start VERY early in the morning and end VERY late at night.

Over the course of the workshop there were ample opportunities to work with both John and Anne ( his wife and a very talented photographer as well) both in the field and in the darkroom. My printing greatly improved. Sadly, this workshop is no longer offered which is a shame, but Anderson Ranch Arts Center has mostly gone digital and they decided not to offer the program from what I understand. Perhaps it will be back one day.

I would recommed his workshops as I am sure you would learn a great deal.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Dave Karp

That workshop that Eric took is a dream workshop. I would have loved the opportunity to take it.

I did take John's introductory printing workshop. I had been printing since the 1970s. My printing took an immediate and very noticeable step upward after attending that workshop. It was fun, fun, fun. Being totally immersed in photography and being surrounded by people who enjoy it as much as you do is just great. There are other threads on this subject so make a search. I don't recall ever hearing that the workshop was not an excellent experience.

I was fortunate enough to hear John speak at Silver Conference this year. He is a great speaker and seems to be a all round good guy. His comment on his basic IQ was great and gave me hope.

Just got back from the five day "Expressive Black and White Print Workshop" that ended Sunday at Sexton's home in Carmel Valley. It was great! Not only do you see lots of truly great photography (not just John and Anne's), and not only do you pick up tons of ideas from the hours in the darkroom, but you learn some fantastic photographic historical information from someone who lived it (at least during the 70's, 80's and 90's). The restaurants and Point Lobos for photography were pretty cool, too. If my darkroom efforts don't improve, it won't be John's fault. He provided the knowledge and the opportunity. Now I have to provide the effort.

"I'd be curious to hear people's comments on Sexton's workshops, any quick and easy tips you have gleaned from his work"

I've attended all three of the darkroom workshops he used to offer including the two week Anderson Ranch workshop back when it was offered and the one at his home. I also attended his Southwest workshop that he offers with Ray McSavaney. Obviously I think very highly of all of them or else I wouldn't have spent four weeks attending them. I've attended a lot of workshops with a lot of very fine photographers/instructors but John's are the best IMHO.

I bought Recollections and it is a fine book. However, good as the reproductions are you'll be amazed at how much better the originals are.

The only quick tip I could pass along is this: making excellent photographs and excellent prints is a lot of hard work. If you want to have a chance to make prints as good as John Sexton's you have to be willing to work as hard as John Sexton, and that's very very hard. I learned a lot from all of the workshops but that's the only one that is susceptible of being presented as a "quick tip."
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I too did the two week workshop at Anderson Ranch, it was a great experience which helped me quite a lot. Not only did I do nothing but photograph and work in the darkroom but had a great time with the people. John and Anne are really sincere folks who devote a lot of good, quality time to their students. Their critiques were honest and fair, if they did not like something they could tell you why and have a discussion. They did not make pronouncements.

It is amazing to see John print, he has a very subtle eye for the detail and you can see it in his prints. His grasp of the technical is obvious. It was a truly important step in my photography. Any chance you have to do a workshop should not be bypassed.

I was fortunate and attended the Anderson Ranch workshop in 2005. It was truly a life-altering experience. I learned a lot of technique which has greatly improved the quality of my prints, and increased my 'keeper' rate. John and Anne are both great teachers and true masters of the art.

One of my favorite parts was the printing sessions, where we each worked on making prints with J&A's help. Looking at work prints and discussing how to improve them, and then doing it and seeing the results, was really great.

Ed Pierce
    http://www.edpiercephoto.com