Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will a Toyo 45A II close with a 210 lens ?

Will a Toyo 45A II close with a 210 lens ?

Does anybody know if a Toyo 45A II field camera will open and close without any problems when a Rodenstock Sironar-N 210 lens is mounted ?
    ( I have the lens, now I need to get the camera )

Re: Will a Toyo 45A II close with a 210 lens ?

Certainly not. As far as I can remenber (I replaced my AII for a CF last year) I doubt it can close with any lens mounted even the tiniest.
    The CF can close with a small lens (105, some 135, G-Claron 150...) mounted.

My Graflex SuperGraphic will close with a 210 Geronar. I know different camera.

There is not way that it can. I have a 45AII, and there is no way the camera will close with a lens that size.

Hope it helps.

Gary

As said above, the Toyo 45CF can close with a small lens. However, if you reverse the lens board on the camera (put it on backwards) a larger lens can be used. When folded, there is more inside space towards the rear of the camera. For instance, facing forwards you can close the camera with a Nikkor 135mm f5.6. Facing the other way, you can use a Nikkor 90mm f8 lens (without the lens caps). This is my largest backpacking lens and I find it convenient to be able to carry it inside of the camera.
    Cheers,
    Dave B.

If you have to reverse the lensboard what is the point? It will take just as long to remount the reversed lensboard in teh correct direction as it will to just simply mount a lensboard. As for modrn 210 lenses and modrn folding field cameras, I don't think there is any modern field that will close with any modern 210 mounted.

Well, I am using a Shen-Hao, not a Toyo, but I have one lens mounted reversed on mine. The convenience is that I leave the lens caps on, so I would need to take the rear lens cap off prior to mounting the board. When it is reversed, getting the rear lens cap off goes quickly. I suppose if I folded it up without the lens caps on the lens, then a flipped around lensboard would be slower. Just for reference, my flipped around lens is a 135mm f5.6 Schneider.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

As everybody has mentioned. You can't close the 45AII with a lens mounted.

Scott Davis

Ted- the point of having a stowed lens inside the camera would be for storage space in the bag - if you can leave one lens on the camera, you can have room for one more in the kit.

Robert- never say never. While I don't have a Toyo AII to test it on, I'd be willing to try putting my Goerz A.O. Wide-angle Dagor 4 3/8" on the front, even un-reversed to see if it goes. The lens for all intents and purposes does not protrude beyond the shutter body, and it is in an older Rapax shutter which is quite thin. Reversed, I know it would fit. For a 210, the 210 f6.8 Geronar MIGHT fit, as it was designed to go inside the body of the CF. Might still be too thick though.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Davis View Post
    Robert- never say never. While I don't have a Toyo AII to test it on, I'd be willing to try putting my Goerz A.O.
    It won't fit. The front standard on the 45AII folds flat against the base of the camera, and the camera case won't close unless the front standard is folded properly. There is less than a 1/2 inch of clearance when in the closed position.