Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shen Hao 8X10

Re: Shen Hao 8X10

Dave - it looks like Luan Mahogany to me. Also, you may be thinking of something other than teak, which is usually pretty hard and extremely durable, but hell on cutting tools.

there's two version :
    black wallnut and schneider !
    http://www.shen-hao.com/E810.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    Dave - it looks like Luan Mahogany to me. Also, you may be thinking of something other than teak, which is usually pretty hard and extremely durable, but hell on cutting tools.
    Ralph:
    The teak I have worked with is used on boats as no-skid surfaces and for decoration and trim. It is used there because the high oil content lets it last well in marine environments. That wood seems soft to me, almost pulpy. You can dent it with a fingernail and wear it away if you are too vigorous with a heavy scrub brush. It is also good as a no-skid surface because it is not so hard that it is slippery when wet. I assume that there are many different kinds of teak and maybe the kind used on boats is of a different character than that used elsewhere. The boat teak is the only stuff I have worked with.
    In any event, the stuff on the camera is pretty hard, a light brown, closer to a coffee color than the dark brown I normally associate with walnut. It has a relatively straight grain, not too fine in structure. Given that it was made in China, it is fair to assume that they did not use American walnut, which is very expensive stuff these days, even in the US. It does not look like anything I have ever seen but it does look nice.
    Cheers,
    Dave B.

Congratulations... should this be the answer? Shen Hao? Their reputation was not so good in the past - but this looks so good that one doesn`t even feel like making jokes about "woodiness schneider"...
    Is a wide angle bellows available, too? Are these Technika lensboards?
    thanks
    Michael

Michael:
    According to the Badger website there is a wide angle bellows available as well as the standard bellows athough I haven't ordered the WA one yet. The camera uses Sinar lens boards and comes with an adapter board that also lets one use Technika boards as well. Both types of boards work fine.
    Cheers,
    Dave B

black walnut (Juglans nigra L.)

In China there are black walnut trees throughout the country. It looks a little different in color and grain from American Black Walnut.

Dave:
    While we are at it, what is the actual size of the camera? Fogive my obsession about the weight and size, just to know how it would fit my backpack. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hoang View Post
    Dave:
    While we are at it, what is the actual size of the camera? Fogive my obsession about the weight and size, just to know how it would fit my backpack. Thanks.

According to Badger: 39X24X12cm(15.3x9.4x4.7inches) 4.4 kilo.

For backpacking, it`s hard to beat the Wehman, it`s only 9cm thick, and makes room for 4-5 8x10 film holders together with the camera in the large compartment of my f.64 backpack, and another 3-4 in the outside pocket.
    Amund

According to Badger: 39X24X12cm(15.3x9.4x4.7inches) 4.4 kilo.
    Thanks Amund, but that dimension is wrong. The back can't be in portrait orientation if one side is only 24cm as mentioned in Don's and my previous posts.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hoang View Post
    Thanks Amund, but that dimension is wrong. The back can't be in portrait orientation if one side is only 24cm as mentioned in Don's and my previous posts.

Ah, I did copy and paste from Badger... As my FCL-57 is one centimeter larger than the HZX-57 I guess the same goes for the FCL-810, I guess it`s around 32x32x12.
    Amund