Thread: darkroom and white walls

darkroom and white walls

I will be setting up a darkroom in my kitchen, so I really can't alter the white counters, white refridgerator and some white wall space.

I was wondering how this will effect things. I will be purchasing a Thompson saf e light, if that helps to answer this question.

Also, does anyone know where to purchase black out cloth? Not the black plastic, but black cloth that has sort of a rubber like backing.

Thanks, Raven

darkroom and white walls

P.S. The cabinets are dark, but the ceiling is white.

darkroom and white walls

It may sound strange, but white is a good colour for darkrooms, because it sprea ds the safe light around very nicely. (Similarly, black is a good colour for stu dios, because it gives you better control of the light).

However, watch out for the area around the enlarger, especially shiny surfaces l ike ceramic tiles. If the enlarger leaks white light, this can fog the photo pap er, so you could paint the surrounding area black.

darkroom and white walls

If you get the Thomas safe light I suggest you get it with the right to return i t within 15 days or so and immediately perform a good safe light fogging test as outlined in Ansel Adams' book "The Print" or as recommended by Kodak. Kodak's t est is a little more involved than Ansel Adams' test as I recall. I suggest this because the Thomas light is notorious for creating fogging problems.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.