Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh what an idiot!

Oh what an idiot!

How many ways are there of messing up a LF picture..?

Drove 50 miles to a stately home in the UK yesterday. Beautiful day. Sat around for hours waiting for the light to be just right, as there was this marvellous 12th century wooden door and stone archway, ideal for LF. Set up the camera..

Got home and processed the Polaroid 55..Blank! I didn't pull the envelope out to take the pic. Oh well I thought, I shot one on Tmax. Processed that and looked perfect on first inspection, until I took it out the tank. A quarter of the pic is blank because presumably I didn't pull the envelope out far enough!!

I've never made either of those mistakes before - a true senior moment.

Grrrrr!

The latest box of Tmax negs are very hard to pull out to expose the film.

In my defence I was constantly disturbed by kids on an egg hunt around the grounds, so sort of lost concentration.

Mad last night, but can see the funny side this morning..it's another beautiful day..

Anyone else done this?

Regards

Steve

Re: Oh what an idiot!

In my 40 some years in photography this has never happened to me.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

I've never made either of those mistakes before - a true senior moment.

Grrr.. you mean a truly "junior" moment

Seniors get bad rap from numpty things like this. I might forget to lock the doors or put the handbrake on though....not sure what to call those...can't remember.

I wouldn't mind seeing the 3/4 picture on TMax. I'm curious what this door worth driving 50 miles for looks like...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_5419 View Post
    Grrr.. you mean a truly "junior" moment

Seniors get bad rap
    I used to have senior moments, now I refer to them all as middle age moments. . . .

As to the sleeve not being fully withdrawn, I have used ready loads and quick loads (both the silver plate and the black plate holder) for years. Recently I purchased a new quick load holder because on a previous trip I had the problem you described. I thought it was because the holder didn't securely hold the film clip while the envelope sleeve was being withdrawn. I even blew a sheet of film so I could watch the action while the sleeve is being withdrawn.

I've taken the older one apart, and I don't see what is causing the failure with that holder. Maybe someone else here has figured it out.

Wilbur

Update

The last time I took the old one apart, I was in the field. I just took it apart again. I don't know if it is the most effective or appropriate measure but I stretched the pressure plate springs (6) slightly so they are about 1/16" longer unloaded. The holder is now catching the film clip reliably every time. My unscientific feel says that even after stretching the (compression) springs on the older holder, my new one still feels like it offers slightly more film plate pressure. If you have another one or could check a new one at a store, maybe that is the source of a potential problem.

Do you know which side of the photograph is missing? If you lost the right side of the image, the clip didn't catch, if the left side than the sleeve wasn't fully pulled (assuming horizontal format and you insert on the right side of the camera.)

Re-read your post, are you using a polaroid holder on each of the pictures?

A few years ago Tioga Pass was open on New Years day, which is very, very rare.
    I left the cable release at home
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
    Anyone else done this?

Not yet... but I've done the opposite a number of times, pulling the envelope (I use QuickLoads) before closing the shutter.

One of my friends once packed his gear, snacks, extra batteries, tripod, and monopod, drove two hours to Shenandoah, and started setting up for a sunrise shot... and discovered that he'd left both of his camera bodies at home.

Ok, answering a few questions. Using Polaroid holder for 55 and Kodak Readyload holder. Will figure out which side of the neg I've lost tonight, and scan it to see what this 'fab' door looks like, and post it, he, he.

I'm going to waste a sheet tonight and check the Kodak holder out.

Thanks for the amusing comments.

Oh when they turn out ok, it's ALL worth it, this LF stuff !

Regards

Steve

I just figure that sheets of 8x10 film blown out because I forgot to close the lens down (like I did again in Yosemite last week) are just sacrafices to the Photo Gods...

Vaughn