Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wide angle on 8x10 (Used 210 XL tough find)

Re: Wide angle on 8x10 (Used 210 XL tough find)

Quote Originally Posted by kjsphotography View Post
    240 Caltar II covers 8x10 without a hitch ( lots of movements ). Super sharp and easy to find. Not very expensive either.

yes - there a certainly more easily available (and affordable...) lenses for 8x10 in the 240/250mm range than in 210mm
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Dear Ramaka,
    I tried the Super Symmar HM 210 first and had permanent problems with vignetting. I like the 210 mm focal length for 8x10" a lot so I moved to the Super Symmar XL 210 last year. It will be offered 2-3 times a year at ebay - I brought my lens used and IMHO it is well worth to wait for this lens.
    Best regards,
    André

The 210 G Claron stopped down to f16 will cover 8x10, as you continue to stop down from there the coverage continues to increase. At about f32 you'll get a fair amount of front rise and f64 will give you quite a lot. The 159mm f9.5 Wollensak is a pretty nice 8x10 lens and also has room for movements. Both are small and light, easy to backpack. I've used both of these lenses for 8x10, both have worked very well though I haven't made any big enlargements from negatives made with the Wollensak.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

They are not very common, but I use a 210mm f9 Computar on both 11x14 and 8x10. They are tight with 11x14, but cover 8x10 with huge movements. I really like mine, but these lenses have recently become cult items and sell for absurd prices.

Question Re: Wide angle on 8x10 (Used 210 XL tough find)

Quote Originally Posted by tim atherton View Post
    However, if you can find a Kowa Graphic 210mm f9 in barrel on ebay it can be easily put in a copal 1 shutter and is an excellent lens. very sharp and with about 2.5" - 3" of rise/fall. And it becomes a 6.8 (?) lens once it's in the shutter
    Tim,
    How can you tell if the Kowa Graphic would become a f/6.8 (or whatever) lens once it's in the shutter? Is this limited to only Copal 1 shutters? Mine is in a Polaroid press shutter, so I am curious.

Diane

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Just to eliminate a couple of candidates, the 210mm f/6.8 Dagor and 215mm f/4.8 Acuton/Caltar both cover 8x10, but with little left for movements.

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Maher View Post
    Tim,
    How can you tell if the Kowa Graphic would become a f/6.8 (or whatever) lens once it's in the shutter? Is this limited to only Copal 1 shutters? Mine is in a Polaroid press shutter, so I am curious.

Diane
    Diane,

Here's the original post from Jim Galli

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...20&postcount=6

I found this to be so with my Kowa 210 at about the same time Jim posted that. Once it was in a shutter (which was stolen from a G-Claron 210) and re-mounted/checked out, I found with the aperture at f9 that the blades weren't completely open - there was room to open it what looked like close to an extra stop.

The barrel mount restricts the aperture to f9, but in the copal you get the extra aperture.

As for the Polaroid shutter, I'm not sure how different the dimensions are - if at all? (Jim may actually be able to answer that, as he's the Polaroid shutter king...)

I've compared my Kowa 210 with a Kyvytar 210 that came mounted in a shutter and is engraved as 6.8. They appear to be identical.

(note, most of the Computar 210's are slightly different. I think they do give the 6.8? But they also give quite a bit more coverage 420mm or so vs about 390mm (I think - going from memory) - which bumps up the price more than the Kowa)
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

I have a 210 Wollensak WF that I'm pretty sure covers with room to spare.

Stew

FWIW, facing the same decision, I opted to go with the 150mm SS XL, as the 210 is such a monster. Plus, I already had a 240mm G-Claron. Even the 150 is pretty large, though, and might be wider than you want.

I wish Schneider could make a 210 SSXL f8 or f9 that uses a 105mm filter, while building another wide lens such as a 300mm SSXL f9 that uses the current 135mm (127mm?) filter. It is a dream of course.