Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: CRT recommendations

Re: CRT recommendations

I'm pretty sure I eliminated gamma variations. I tried both sorts of monitor attached to both Macs and PCs. The differences were consistent across the board. I didn't have good control of the ambient lighting, but again, the differences were consistent.

The Dells are good monitors, and I love the ones we have here for the task they were bought for (they are part of the design suite for a lithography system) but they don't make me want to part with my own money for my personal photographic use.

Quote Originally Posted by Struan Gray View Post
    I'm pretty sure I eliminated gamma variations. I tried both sorts of monitor attached to both Macs and PCs. The differences were consistent across the board. I didn't have good control of the ambient lighting, but again, the differences were consistent.
    I still suspect a software difference. I've spent far too much time learning about hardware and technology (keeps me occupied at work ) to be convinced otherwise any longer.

The Dells are good monitors, and I love the ones we have here for the task they were bought for (they are part of the design suite for a lithography system) but they don't make me want to part with my own money for my personal photographic use.
    With any luck, by the time I'm ready to get a new monitor (it's low on my list of priorities right now), LCD's will outperform CRTs at long last.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Rakesh Malik View Post
    With any luck, by the time I'm ready to get a new monitor (it's low on my list of priorities right now), LCD's will outperform CRTs at long last.
    I think they already do, but only at at about five times my budget! I'm waiting for the price/performance to improve. With luck, all the r&d getting poured into the technology (expensive tv sets, etc.) will speed this along.

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    I think they already do, but only at at about five times my budget! I'm waiting for the price/performance to improve. With luck, all the r&d getting poured into the technology (expensive tv sets, etc.) will speed this along.
    Oops... I intended the price tag as a caveat, and neglected to include it in the post

I'm hoping the same thing. LCD production volumes are increasing quite a bit now, hopefully that will help.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Looks like I got lucky ... my $40 ebay, sold as-is LaCie IV works fine. No immediate issues, and it calibrates fine. I'm guessing it will last a year or so.

Hoping the LCDs will be affordable by then (refurbs/used included) because there will probably be even fewer decent CRTs around.