Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CRT recommendations

Re: CRT recommendations

If you want real tight monitor calibration you aren't going to get there, IMHO, with software alone. You need to use a an external colorimeter, e.g. a 'hockey puck' such as the Optix, Eye One, etc.

JW, I have found that even the newer Adobe Gamma is significantly inferior to something like XRite/GrayTag Macbeth colorimeter. The difference is significant and the only way to measure luminosity, which will tell you in what kind of shape your monitor is in and how much life it has left in it.

FWIW

Some time ago the support at GTM told me that a monitor that calibrates at less than 90% of luminosity is seriously compromised. That is somewhat of an exaggeration (they are in the business of perfection) but.....

I currently have one a LB IV at 80% of target. It seemed workable until I replaced another old Dell monitor at another workstation with a new Lacie 300 series 12 bit LCD. The low luminosity (which makes images appear dull) leads one to slightly overly add contrast and saturation to make the image look snappy. The lower it is the more this becomes an issue. The Dell monitor I replaced, which was not used for critical work, was at 50% and noticeably duller. Knowing this the LB IV is usable for awhile longer. There is no way, according to XR support, to adjust your way around a low luminosity with monitor settings.

Used and "obsolete" colorimeters are available very reasonably particularly the ones with the old GTM logo. (I recently took a XRite workshop. I learned a few things, but they through in a new colorimeter which made the $275 cost of the workshop dirt cheap).
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Thanks for the info, Kirk. I'm going to think about it - though I should also clarify that when I (rather flippantly) referred to 'adobe gamma' - I was referring to the calibration engine in the 'monitor setup' in the OS X system control panel. Pretty basic stuff. But if you use it in 'advanced mode' (slightly better) it really does an excellent job in terms of balancing the monitor, visually. Granted - the profiling of devices is a whole different matter. But if my lab provides the drumscans that I print at the same lab - there's quite alot of work already being done for me, profile wise. So - why bother dealing with complex issues if most of the hard stuff is already happening out-of-house. But regardless, I'll be doing a lot of lightjet mural work - so, as they say, the proof is in the pudding - and if this becomes a big issue, then I'll have to deal with it. But for now, I am very pleased with the results I've been getting (fool's paradise perhaps?) - and I will burn that bridge when I come to it!

Abuser of God's Sunlight

So, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a discontinued Eizo:
    http://www.eizo.com/support/discontinued/lcd/l885.asp

This is everyone's chance to talk me out of it.
    It's between this and a used CRT like the one I had.

My thoughts so far about the Eizo ...

Pros: stable, low energy consumption, good image quality, probably won't break, probably will retain some retai value.

Cons: about double the price, no true hardware calibration (but serious software calibration ... not sure what the tradeoffs are), may not be as smooth looking as the CRT.

Any other thoughts?

That monitor was $1300 when it was current. It is no Coloredge, but I bet it is very good.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Kirk, thanks for expanding on my too cryptic remark.

JW, I got along for years (or thought I did) with the OS X tools. I started using the Monaco Optix xr colorimeter about 18 months ago and the difference is quite noticable in terms of the ease and quality ofmy digitl workflow. Like Kirk says,the investment is minimal. In fact, for awhile Midwest had the Optix available for something like $150 which is a real steal.

Paul --- well I am certainly not going to be the one to talk you out of it since I partially talked you into it . When you say double the price, double the price of what, the cheap off brand monitors, I ask because the $450 they are selling for at the Eizo online store seems like a solidly good price for a top quality 20+" monitor. Further, I am not sure what you mean by the differentiation between hardware and software calibration. I always thought there were hardware controls on my Flex Scan monitors. That said, see my comments above and Kirk's earlier. IMO, if you are investing in a new monitor make the investment in the calibration tools as well. If you do any amount of printing you will pay for the device in paper not wasted ... very rapidly too.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    Paul --- well I am certainly not going to be the one to talk you out of it since I partially talked you into it . When you say double the price, double the price of what, the cheap off brand monitors, I ask because the $450 they are selling for at the Eizo online store seems like a solidly good price for a top quality 20+" monitor. Further, I am not sure what you mean by the differentiation between hardware and software calibration. I always thought there were hardware controls on my Flex Scan monitors. That said, see my comments above and Kirk's earlier. IMO, if you are investing in a new monitor make the investment in the calibration tools as well. If you do any amount of printing you will pay for the device in paper not wasted ... very rapidly too.
    I meant double the price of a used CRT ...

It seems some of the flex scan monitors have hardware calibration and others don't. This one comes with software that integrates with the buttons on the monitor (as far as I can tell), and it ajusts the calibration through the video card. So the range of calibration probably isn't as wide as what's possible with the monitor hardware. I don't know what kind of difference this makes. I imagine if the monitor is good out of the box and doesn't drift too far, it's a minor deal. But I don't know for sure. i'm open to comments.

I already have an eye-1 match calibration system that I plan to use with this.

While this thread is still cookin, I've been using a Sony Artisan CRT for a long time.I love this monitor.I can tell its on its last leg What would be its equal in picture quality to replace it since they are history?

anyway- Kirk... the point I was trying to make was that I picked up my blue IV 2nd hand - and I've used MANY a monitor (5-6) with the same or similar calibration scheme. This is the ONLY one that I've had to set brightness on MINIMUM to get my blackpoint (!) - most are much closer to maximum. I just thought it was really impressive - and a testament to the fact that you CAN get a quality monitor second hand. You just have to do legwork - that's the only thing.

Other than that (and coming from someone who used to have a barco as well!) I can see differentiations between colors on this monitor that I've never seen before. I think that's a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakesh Malik View Post
    Check out the Dell monitors. They use the same models that Apple uses in their CinemaDisplays, just with a different bezel and a significantly lower price tag (because that's what Dell does).
    We have several of the Dells too (20 and 23" models). It may be just that the Apple is my personal monitor and I've been able to tweak it to my heart's content, but I cannot get the Dells to show the same sort of subtlety that I get out of the Apple.

Several of the Barco reference monitors have gone by on our local exchange and mart website, but they have never been local enough. In NY you might have more luck and and find a local seller.

If you are looking at the 'cheaper' Eizos, the 797 and 997 were supposedly a halfway stage between the merely good monitors and the CE and CG models. They have been around for a while now, so in high churn environments may be leaking onto the used market.