Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CRT recommendations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Abuser of God's Sunlight

CRT recommendations

I bought a great LaCie Electron Blue IV 19" monitor last year, in almost new condition. My hope was that it would last until the really good LCDs dropped into my price range. Well, the monitor crapped out on me this month, and a nice big Eizo is still out of reach.

I'm scanning Craigslist for a replacement, in the likely event that my corner t.v. repair shop can't fix the LaCie.

Are there any other monitors in the LaCie's class that I should consider? I need 19 or 21 inches, sharp image, even illumination, and ability to calibrate (independent controlls of R, G, and B channels).

Re: CRT recommendations

Sony Artisan, but probably harder to find than a LaCie. Good luck!

Yes, Sony Artisan is great and comes with monitor calibration hardware/software. Supposed to have expected 20,000 hr life, I think I read somewhere.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Paul,

The Sony Artisan is likely to cost you way more than the LaCie if you find one. Even more than some good LCD's. Two suggestions:

1) Take a look at Eizo's online store for their clearance monitors. They have several FlexScanseries monitors in the 17-20 inch size range that are under 500. These monitors willserve you well. We use several of them inour scanning workshops. Take a look at La Cie's refurbs too. I noticed several seemingly good deals in an email I got from them the other day.

2) I have an Electron Blue 19" that is is good working order just taking up space under a table. If you can figure a way to get it to you from NH we can work out a deal.

The Sony GDM-C520 is the best deal in high-end CRTs. That's the same as the Artisan without the fancy stuff. Used to retail for between 1/2 and 1/3 of an Artisan.

I recently bought a new Lacie 300 series 12 bit LCD. To my eye it is every bit (ha ha) as good as the Eizo 12 bit monitors, which I use at the school. All Lacies are now and always were made by NEC. There may be an NEC equivilent that is a few bucks cheaper.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I have a LaCie IV and like it alot. What's wrong with getting another one? Just because one crapped out on you - doesn't mean the next will. Who's to say an artisan or whatever else won't crap out on you too? No assurances. I'm just sayin'...

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by JW Dewdney View Post
    I have a LaCie IV and like it alot. What's wrong with getting another one?
    Oh, I'm looking for another one. But on the local used market I might not find a good one any time soon, so I'm trying to expand my options.

Ted: thanks for the offer. I'm going to try my luck locally first, just because shipping these beheemoths is such a chore. As far as the Eizos go, I see great deals on the flex scan models, but not the high end ones (which are the only ones i've seen, and fallen in love with). Any idea how the two lines compare?

Kirk: when you compare the LaCie to the Eizo 12-bit monitors, which Eizo line is that?

Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    Ted: thanks for the offer. I'm going to try my luck locally first, just because shipping these beheemoths is such a chore. As far as the Eizos go, I see great deals on the flex scan models, but not the high end ones (which are the only ones i've seen, and fallen in love with). Any idea how the two lines compare?
    Paul: I've only seen the high-end Eizo's from afar. The FlexScan models are high end enough for me. They appear to have the same build quality as the the higher end ones, jus tnot as many bells and whistles. The frames are metal and they are sturdy. Before I decided to buy them for our workshops, where it is critical that they calibrate and stay calibrated ... even with shipping back and forth across the country .... I checked with X-Rite and got a flat out answr that ALL Eizo monitors calibrate rapidly, easily and stay calibrated. That was all I needed.

As for the LaCie gathering dust. If you decide you want to take a drive up here just shout and you get free shooting in beautiful NH as well as a monitor .

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    As for the LaCie gathering dust. If you decide you want to take a drive up here just shout and you get free shooting in beautiful NH as well as a monitor .
    cool, i'm juggling my options right now. and waiting to hear what the t.v. repair shack has to say about my dead baby. my climbing partner and i may be heading up to the white mountains one of these weekends, so if i decide the eizo's too dear, and a perfect sony or lacie doesn't rain down from heaven, i may be driving up your way.