Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice for developing B/W at home

Question Need advice for developing B/W at home

Hi folks,

I've been shooting color and B/W for the last 6-7 years, always having the professional lab in town processing all of my film, and I'm beginning to come to the realization that to get the results I want with B/W, I'm going to need to process myself.

Here are some of the challenges that I need to overcome:

1 - Very little room for trays, etc in both of my bathrooms.
    2 - Uncertainty about the hardness/softness of my tap water supply
    3 - I'm a developing NOOB.

Essentially what I want is:

1 - The ability to precisely control the development process (temperature, time, etc)
    2 - Preferably low-profile (doesn't take up a lot of space) equipment.
    3 - Advice on how to dispose of used chemicals safely.

I've really only shot just T-Max, as I've been spoiled on the Readyload/Quickload habit since I started LF. So in addition, I'm not exactly sure where to begin with shooting some of the other Ilford films. I'm about a 80% Landscape, 10% Architecture, and 10% Portrait shooter.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Ben C

Re: Need advice for developing B/W at home

What format[s]?

Jobo type setup doesn't take up a lot of room.

Exclusively 4x5.

Try to find a PATERSON ORBITAL. You can develop up to 4 sheets at a time with minimal solution, and it is fairly space-saving. I'd recommend looking into a Jobo tank or a Yankee tank or something for larger quantities.

Paterson Orbital is fine for me as I shoot 4x5 few and far between compared to 35mm and 120.

Patterson Orbitals are hard to come by in the US (at least on the East Coast). I use the Unicolor print drum method that is described in great detail on this site. My results are very consistent; I get nice thick and even negatives. The only catch is to get the right drum and to stop its leaking.

If you're just starting out and don't have much space, the HP Combi-Plan isn't a bad way to go. It has a few quirks, which are well described in other threads here, but I've had very good luck with it.

Erich

The BTZS tubes take up very little space and once loaded don't require that anything else be done in the dark. This gives you a lot of flexibility in terms of where you do the processing because you can load the film and developer in a closet or other dark space, then take the tubes out into daylight for processing. Six tubes in a water jacket tray take up about 18" x 12" as a guess (if the exact space is critical let me know and I'll measure mine). You'll need the tubes plus at a minimum one tray for the fix (it isn't a good idea to leave the film in the tubes when fixing). Then you'll need some space for washing, possibly the bath tub or shower could be used for that part. If you have a utility room with washer and dryer that's really ideal because the tubes in a water jacket, plus a tray of fix, can easily fit on top of a washer and dryer (mine have the stains to prove it, for many years my darkroom was the utility room or vice versa depending on whether you were talking to me or my wife).

I don't think disposal of chemicals by amateur darkroom users who process very little film (compared to a pro lab or professional who develops his or her own film, if there are any such people left) creates a major environmental hazard.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Ash, I have a Paterson orbital but, when I tried loading 4 sheets in the tray ,the development was very uneven therefore now only do one at a time. I cut off the bars inside as you advised but its still bad. What kind of agitation method do you use?
    Jean

HP Combi Plan T for 4x5. Up to 12 sheets at a time with B&W when used with the sheets back to back.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

I use a JOBO 2521 tank with 2509 reel. Six sheets at a time, either inversion or rotary. Rotary uses far less chemicals, so I've got a cheap second-hand JOBO CPE-2. And a couple more tanks and reel and stuff too.

I do BW and E6 in it, and sheet films from 6.5x9cm up to 30x40cm (12x16").