Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Organizing your Negs/Trans

Organizing your Negs/Trans

Hello All,

How do you organize your negs/trans?
    I'm not talking about what you put them in, but how do you mark them.
    As an example: put a label on the back of the sleeve and label it "07-001-V".
    In the above example the 07 is obviously the year, the 001 is the first of that year, and maybe add the V (for Velvia) or some other film indicator.

Right now I'm using the old "Rock in stream, early morning, Hickory Run SP", but as you can imagine I have quite a few of those.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Muggs

Re: Organizing your Negs/Trans

I do a very simple 07-023-7.

This means 2007 - roll #23 - neg #7

Nice and simple and easy to find.

I use date, geographic location, brief description. Sometimes it is difficult to keep the description brief.

Similar, but with the 1st 2 digits for the format, as they are filed by format:

4507023 would be the 23rd 4x5 neg of this year. For roll film , I'd add the frame counter, e.g. 6707023-8 for the 8th frame on a 6x7 cm roll.

For sheet film negatives, on the sleeve itself I use a prefix indicating camera/format, then append the year and sequence number. Example: P810/06.12 would be 12th negative made with Phillips 8x10 in 2006. I have a log book with very brief notes for each sequence number identifying date, location/subject, film and lens used, and exposure.

I organize by location or subject, giving it an abbreviated form which goes on the top of each negative sheet, along with the date and sheet/roll sequence number or alpha designator. That info is also the basis of any scan file name, along with the frame or sheet number. For example, and image from Death Valley in February of 2003 might become DV0203-A3 to designate the 3rd of 4 4x5 negs in sheet A, while DV0203-B and DV0203-C would designate 8x10 negs, and DV0203-14-23 would designate the 23rd frame from roll 14 of that project. That way, I can quickly locate the file folder and the negative from the scan file name, knowing the location, date, format size and frame.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5......6943, 6944, 6945....

Exposure and development notes are keep in a separate small notebook with the same reference number. The scans have the same reference number in the name of the file. With the one number I can reference all data about a given negative. Plus it is a constant reminder of how many negatives I have worked. When I get to 10000 I'll know that I have arrived

I use XXXYYYYY where XX is the country or state code, and YYYYY is the image number. For example, AU1000 is image #1000 from Australia. I don't record dates, camera, film, etc. in this system, because that is what databases are for.

I don't use a numbering system at all for images from my digital camera, since I only use a digital camera for personal, throw-away images.

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0

I keep a logbook. Each entry in the book is dated. Each entry has all the details from weather to film and camera to lens,tripod and exposure. Each logbook entry and exposure is numbered. The negatives go into archival negative storage sleeves and each sleeve is numbered to match the negative and the logbook. The negatives themselves have nothing on them. I only ever take one negative out of its sleeve at a time.

cheers

I have mine sorted by format and with the LF ones I have entries made in a notebook and reference the holder number and the date shot. Smaller formats have information written on the part of the neg page made for it. Usually there's a number that the developing lab associated with the negatives and I just use that and a description of the event. Ones that I developed get a date and event.