Thread: Testing Film Speed

Testing Film Speed

I've just got new spot meter and I want to try and get my film speed sorted out. The instruction to photograph plain card in even light I find harder said than done! The card can meter a 1/3rd of a stop difference over its area.If the light outside changes you're in difficulty again trying to take 4 or 5 shots. Is the only way to do it, is with a longer lens and close up to card, so that only a small portion is being photographed. I wasted some film last time I tried this.
    Jean

Re: Testing Film Speed

It's best to do all your film testing under the same lighting conditions. For consistency, I decided to do my testing inside. I bought a couple 500W daylight balanced light bulbs from local camera shop. These were placed inside a reflector and positioned so that target was evenly lit. My target was a middle gray wall in my darkroom.
    Remember if you focus in close you have to compensate for bellows extension. With a setup like this where all the variables don't change, you will have best results.
    I did it this way until I discovered the zone board in Hutching's book about Pyro. Much better.

I test inside with incandescent light as well. One less variable to be concerned with. I make sure I have enough light to avoid having to make a reciprocity correction.

When I did my own testing I tested outside since that's where I'll be photographing and I remember Fred Picker talking in his book about some adjustments that need to be made to the results when testing under artificial light (probably unimportant but I didn't want to worry about it). While lighting conditions outside can change, when you expose film for a film speed test all you're doing is making about five exposures at different f stops. Nothing else changes. You can make five exposures in a minute or two if you move fast. Surely you can find some open shade on a cloudless day where the light won't change in that short a period of time. Better yet, spring for $35, let The View Camera Store do your film speed (and development time) testing for you. I can almost guarantee that by the time you finish with both EI and development time tests using traditional zone system testing methods you'll have spent close to $35 in film costs alone. In addition, The View Camera Store will provide you with more and better information than you're likely to get on your own.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Once you've exposed it, what do you do with it?

www.circleofthesunproductions.com may offer help.

It's Picker's method, updated, and endlessly repeatable if you love testing.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com