Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Film Holder Quality?

Film Holder Quality?

Fidelity, Lisco, Riteway, Whatever Else?

When shopping for 4x5 and 5x7 holders, is any one brand, or within-brand grade holder better than others? Please advise.

TIA

Re: Film Holder Quality?

Toyo holders are probably the best finished and generally regarded by those who have used them as "the best". Toyo have not manufactured any 5x7 holders in the past; only 4x5 and 8x10 holders. 4x5 Toyo holders at Badger Graphic are currently cheaper than Fidelity holders - they are $30 per holder. Their 8x10 holders are sginificantly heavier than Fidelity or Liscos (about 5 ounces).

At present, no-one is making 5x7 holders. There is talk that holders may be made by Fotoman (a Chinese manufacturer). Do a search and you will find extensive information about that and the possibility of Toyo perhaps making some 5x7 holders.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I use all three brands that you mention, John, in 4x5 and have never noticed a significant difference.

Some of the 8x10 Fidelity holders have a metal dark slide, others have plastic in various degrees of cheapness. It's not always easy finding the ones with metal dark slides, however I did manage to pick up a couple that were new in the box. If you care about it be sure to ask/look. I prefer the metal dark slides (heavier, but they don't break or bind). Some may prefer plastic. The image flatness is the same either way.

While I can't speak for 5x7 and 8x10 holders from Toyo, I wouldn't go out of my way to get their cheaply made 4x5 holders. Perhaps the larger ones are better, or perhaps even there are differences among the Toyo holders too.

Confidently Agnostic!

I have a couple of toyo holders and a bigger stack of fidelity holders (all 4x5). Both types work great - no flatness problems that I've noticed, no light leaks, no difficulties to load / unload. The toyos do seem more solid and slick (they have a thin metal film bed, and a nicer hinged door), but they're also brand new (whereas my fidelity holders are probably 20+ years old - used purchase from ebay). I suppose the fact that the old floppy plastic fidelity ones work so well despite their age is testament to their good construction.

On the other hand the toyo holders really stink! It's sort of a pleasing chemical smell, but it's probably also modifying my DNA.

For the most part, what I look for in a film holder, is film flatness, light proof and smooth dark slides, other than that, I could care less what brand they are, I have many of each brand and as long as they offer what I am looking for in a film holder, all is good.

Dave

I can't say. All my holders are Toyo. They are excellent and I've never had any reason to try any other brand.

Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    I can't say. All my holders are Toyo. They are excellent and I've never had any reason to try any other brand.
    My first four were Toyo. They're expensive and smell like petrochemicals. My next ten were Fidelity Elites, and all ten cost less than four of the toyos. No problems with any of them.

I own both Toyo (x6) and Fidelity (x2) holders in 5x4. If I can, I avoid using the Fidelity, they don't give me confidence, although it might be psychosomatic

I recently converted most of my holders to the newer Riteway holders. The dark slides are locked into the holder. There is a small button that you depress to remove the dark slide. This button is depressed when you insert the holder in the camera. One caveat is that these holders will not work in Linhof cameras, but work great in my Wista VX. Another nice feature is that they have two number wheels that can be set to mark each holder with a two number code. I have only used Riteway holders and have had no problems with any of the holders.