Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A bad day (sort of)

A bad day (sort of)

A beautiful day in Monterey. Top down, all day to photograph Point Lobos. Wife i n a class (What's taking so long to take a picture).Crank up the car-wife pokes head out of the motel door. "Would you like to take your camera?" That wasn't th e end. I get to a "good spot" set up etc. Whip out the Pentax spotmeter, Depress the trigger=NADA, nuthin. Apparently my loupe was pressing against the trigger in the backpack and the Battery pooped out. Spare? sure, at home. Sunny 16 here I come. Did this ever happen to Ansel? George

A bad day (sort of)

Sure - If I remember correctly, when Ansel was racing to make the "Moonrise" photograph he couldn't find his meter. Actually you were lucky your wife reminded you to bring your camera. Twice I've gone on photography trips and lbrought a backpack filled with everything you could possibly need except the camera. A meter you can live without, but a camera is an absolute necessity.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

A bad day (sort of)

What, you never heard the "Moonrise" story?

Weston's static electricty loading holders?

The time when Edward & Charis visited Ansel, whilst Guggenheiming and Ol Devil Anse' kept asuring them that the mosquitos would be driven away by the elevation/rain/campfire smoke, etc. etc. etc. ???? And he wound up unloading and loading while they tried to keep the blood- suckers of his ears while he sweated it out in the changing bag?

A bad day (sort of)

What, you never heard the "Moonrise" story?

Weston's static electricty loading holders?

The time when Edward & Charis visited Ansel, whilst Guggenheiming and Ol Devil Anse' kept asuring them that the mosquitos would be driven away by the elevation/rain/campfire smoke, etc. etc. etc. ???? And he wound up unloading and loading for Ed'ard while they tried to keep the blood-suckers of his ears while he sweated it out in the changing bag?

A bad day (sort of)

The "real question" is this: did you take any pictures at Point Lobos that had not been taken before?

A bad day (sort of)

Cole Weston once said,

"It doesn't matter if it's been done before. It's ALL been done before. The point is to do it your way."

A bad day (sort of)

Correction, it's ALMOST all been done before. :-) The easy stuff has been done before. Has anyone shot from the summit of Everest, K2 or Trango Tower w/ a 4x5 before? Here's a opportunity for a first! I try to shoot things in hard-to-get-to places (not as hard as the above, though :-) ) that require some stamina to get to. Still, most have been shot I'm sure, but not shot to death.:-) Back when A.A. was shooting, he had a mule. You can't bring mules into many national parks anymore. BTW, in his video interview, he mentions that he did forget to bring his lightmeter once.

A bad day (sort of)

George... did I ever tell you about the time I took a color 8x10 photograph of Elvis stepping out of a flying saucer in front of the Taj Mahal...Then when I go to the lab to pick-up the photograph they tell me there is no charge because they ruined the negative...They are only responsible for the cost of the film you know !!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Dave {;-(

A bad day (sort of)

Dave,

Was that before or after THe King shook hands with Jacquie O., Marilyn and the Loch Ness Monster?

A bad day (sort of)

George do you really need a light meter at Point Lobos?All the images I've seen of this area, believe me I would drop everything to pay it a visit, have been ei ther taken in bright sun or fog. That must average out at between zone V/VI. Pay a visit to the UK, even with a light(spot)meter you'll be bloody lucky to ge t an accurate reading. You set up in fine sunshine, just about to trip the shutt er, it starts to rain. Your average zone VI is now down to zone IV, you are now faced with the opportunity of a dark moody image so after making the necessary a djustments you trip the shutter at the very moment the sun comes out and lights you up like a Christmas tree. Sod it I'm taking up needlework! George you don't know how lucky you really are. All the best, regards, Trevor.