Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Very new to LF! (not even started yet)

Re: Very new to LF! (not even started yet)

Trust me walking around Jerusalem with a gun will not raise any eyebrows. (Assuming you have the paperwork). Even in the old city, though be careful in the arab areas.

Been there, carried the rifle, I actually had it on me when I proposed to my wife at the Kotel (western wall) at 3 in the morning some 6 years ago. She told me she knew I was going to propose when I took it off and laid it next to me on the bench, I couldn't get down on my knees with a rifle on my back! Thing is that being under a darkcloth with a gun in your belt is very very dangerous when you are in a city where it could mean your death at the most and 7 years in jail for losing a gun at the least.

It does make things easier for you though in such a security conscious country, instead of having to be searched going into shops etc you just show your identity card and liscense. Last time I went to the western wall it was absolutely bucketing it down and it was 11pm at night, I had my big camera bag and tripod on my back and neither I or the security guards could be bothered searching through it in the rain. He asked me if I had my army reserves identity card, showed it to him and got straight through, got a great image out of it though!

That is a nice shot. Personally I generally avoid the Kotel, way to many people trying to hit you up for tzedakah. Yea, having a gun in your belt while under a dark cloth is probably not such a good idea.

I do more landscapes and flowers than city scapes. I hope I got some nice pictures last thursday when I was down in Mizpe Ramon. (I still needs to take it all to the lab)

So did you find a lab then in the end? I bought the LF for cityscapes and Jerusalem specifically, I always found Israel a bit sparse on the landscape stuff unless you're into sand dune stuff (I want to do some of that down Eilat way actually with the red mountains). My idea is to photograph cityscapes in Jerusalem for big prints to sell. It's never been hard to sell Israel to the Jews, I'm hoping that I'll make something out of it.

This batch I'm going to take to Panorama, its not great but it will get the job done (I hope). At some point I'm going to get an E-6 kit and start developing everything at home, but not right now.

Most of this round of pictures is actually 35mm shots of the night sky. As for landscapes there are some really pretty bits in the shomron (Which is my neck of the woods) or in the north. And the negev has a stark look all its own.

I'm still trying to find a cheap way of shooting 4X5 without processing myself, a step that sounds far too complicated!

I think Panorama quoted me 14NIS/sheet for E-6. I can get prices for B&W or C-41 when I go in later in the week. (I have the phone # around here somewhere too)

Thanks mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    Thanks mate.
    Panoram's Phone # is 972 02 673 6780, and they are on R. Mase Hoshev which is in Talpoit. Take the #14 but and it off of Yod Horotzim across from Hummus Talpoit.

They also have a web site http://www.panorama.co.il

Send a PM when you get back to Israel.

I just got a while bunch of stuff back from Panorama, and once again I have to say I'm really not happy. I had them scan 2 rolls of 35mm slides, and they did a really crappy job on about 2/3 of them, and didn't scan the rest. I plan to buy a scanner at some point and redo the scans at home.

I would advise developing yourself. Prizma on Zion square will have the chemestry you need.