Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Very new to LF! (not even started yet)

Re: Very new to LF! (not even started yet)

Ben, you could look into the (lowepro??) backpacks that have a side pocket/strap for tripods. No doubt any drinks-holder type pocket will be suitable with a bit of DIY-strapping along the top for security.

I unfortunately find that if you carry a tripod you're a target, anyone who needs one of them must be carrying expensive gear. It sometimes helps to lower your aesthetic in some way - look messy or put some duct tape around your bag. Just as a precaution

As for focusing cloth, they're all pretty similar. As long as it is light and folds up small you should be ok. Considering the heat you may find a black cloth is unsuitable.

One correction on dark cloths. They are all about the same with a couple of exceptions.The two mot readily available exceptions are the BTZS cloth (see details at www.viewcamerastore.com) and the Black Jacket (see details at http://www.quietworks.com/FRAMES_FIL...INGCLOTH.html). Both of these are smaller and lighter than traditional dark cloths and, IMO, have much more functionality. I use both.

I was looking at the Black Jacket, theft is something that is worrying me as in the areas that I will be working grab and run theft is rife, I've been wondering what the best way is to be under a darkcloth not seeing what is happening around me - but not get my kit stolen. A backpack is probably the only idea though goodness knows it will make me look like a camel under a darkcloth!

Keep the stuff under the tripod between your legs. it doesnt take much to glance down.

Personally I like the traditional cloth as I can quickly return to the 'real world' and see my surroundings.

Do you find that you need the full blackout of the blackjacket type cloths? I was playing with a camera outside a store in pretty bright sunlight with my jacket slung over my head and it seemed fine.

Is there a type of photo backpack that lends itself well to carrying LF gear?

In my limited LF experience I find the cloth is fine. I whack a bulldog clip on the underside of the camera to get a tight fit around the rear standard if needs be, but usually I duck under it loose and I'm fine. Depends how strong the light is I guess.

As for carrying gear I'm not sure I mentioned, but the laptop backpack I have fits all my gear easy. All but the tripod, which as I said can somehow attach to a side pocket or around the front maybe.

One thought I've had, but not acted upon, is to make a dark bag - a viewing bag similar to a bag bellows, with an eye cup/ring through which a loupe could be inserted. A bit of Velcro on the back for easy attachment, and away you go. That would keep the head from beneath a conventional dark cloth, and increase awareness of peripheral activity.

A muscular shooting buddy carrying a big stick never hurts, either.

Ben,
    From what I remember of Jerusalem the light can be quite overwhealming. Given your need for speed and mode of transportation you might consider using a doubled black t-shirts instead of a darkcloth. Just a thought
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I just took a few super-quick shots of my gear packed and half unpacked.

I didn't bother removing the Calument monorail from my heavy duty tripod, but for kicks I've put my cheap Lander tripod on the side of the bag for illustration. Two legs in the pocket, which is zipped up a little, and then the side support strap to hold the tripod in place. I'm sure you could cut through the bottom of the pocket so a taller/larger tripod sits more conveniently.

My Half-plate field camera (with 4x5 back) is shown complete with the bolt/wingnut assembly I use to affix it to the surveyor's tripod in this photo http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43...d/DSC00985.jpg

I can give you measurements of everything, but basically that field camera is a 5x7, and it fits with room to spare on all sides. The laptop pocket shows four of my 4x5 DDS's stacked. You can comfortably fit at LEAST eight. I'm sure another four could be placed in that pocket and then stacked atop the camera (your 4x5 camera is no doubt tiny in comparison to mine).

The front pocket is empty. as is one side pocket. There is well enough space for spare lenses on boards, and all sorts of accessories. I should have folded up my dark cloth and placed it on top of the camera but I kiiiinda forgot!

The bag is a Targus OCG256

I'm sure with a tiny camera like your 4x5 you'll find a bag like mine oversized, even with every possible accessory in it. The camera takes up the bulk of the space in this one. I fitted my Calumet 4x5 monorail in it still-assembled (minus focus rail). Targus make suprisingly spacious bags, and they're cheaper than camera bags.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    I was looking at the Black Jacket, theft is something that is worrying me as in the areas that I will be working grab and run theft is rife
    Well you could always add a pitbull to your kit