Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: tripod head-ache

Re: tripod head-ache

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher D. Keth View Post
    No they don't. The wrong quick-release reduces stability. There are QR systems made for film cameras that would hold you securely on top of a tripod. I'm not at all kidding. There are plenty of QR options for any camera you would ever want to use that will not sacrifice stability.

There is a light-weight one here: http://www.filmtools.com/boma32quread.html
    ANY mechanical connection reduces stability. So - adding an additonal component/connection reduces stability. Sorry to be argumentative - but I fail to see how you can possibly contest that statement. For what you say to be true, then, if you were to stack 7 million (or even 20 would probably work admirably) quick release systems, all on top of eachother forming a long, long stack - I would argue that the resulting system would have GREAT flexibility and movement. You are contending that it would be a perfectly rigid system - which is absolutely impossible from any perspective.

Silly academic point, I know... but if you're really fussy about stability, keep the components to a minimum, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by JW Dewdney View Post
    ANY mechanical connection reduces stability. So - adding an additonal component/connection reduces stability. Sorry to be argumentative - but I fail to see how you can possibly contest that statement. For what you say to be true, then, if you were to stack 7 million (or even 20 would probably work admirably) quick release systems, all on top of eachother forming a long, long stack - I would argue that the resulting system would have GREAT flexibility and movement. You are contending that it would be a perfectly rigid system - which is absolutely impossible from any perspective.

Silly academic point, I know... but if you're really fussy about stability, keep the components to a minimum, IMO.
    I'm talking practicality, not theoretical. One good quick release is not going to make any discernible difference unless it's the wrong quick release for the job.

If various QR systems are trusted for hundred-thousand dollar cameras and $20 million feature films, they are good enough for your view camera.

- Frank -

Do you have in mind somethig like this ? :
    http://cgi.ebay.de/Linhof-3-D-Neiger...QQcmdZViewItem
    Yes, it is a great head for up to 5x7 cameras IMHO.

Thanks Matus.

How good is the variable friction control on the Novoflex at preventing 'flop'?

- Bob -

I am just not sure wheter the main screw can be tightened properly just with fingers. But oce it is, I have no doubts about the load capacity of the head.

- resummerfield -

Thanks for an example. But I have still a question - how is the camera secured (oce you loosen the QR) against slipping out ? Are there any notches on the ends of the plate?

- JW -

you are most probably right, but I just do not have enough money to prove your statement wrong or correct (what - being a physicist - would be my task )
    For sure to put the camera directly on the head can be more stable and also cheaper.

- Frank -

But why is this head calld "3-D" it seems to have only 2 axis movements (or is the third hidden in the particullar picture ?).
    How do you find the eas of use? is it smooth? How much does it weight?

- joolsb -

I think it works quite fine - but if I would be more serious about using it - I would just take off the little "handle" sticking out from the tension adjusting knob (it is actually not needed - it is easy and comfortable to turn the knob itself). As I said - I do not use it too much - I may play with it at home and let you know more, but I did have a feeling that it does not remain in the same position whe you tighten adn untighten the head a couple of times (the handle and the tension knob share the same axis) - but I have to confirm this first.

Quote Originally Posted by Matus Kalisky View Post
    .....But I have still a question - how is the camera secured (oce you loosen the QR) against slipping out ? Are there any notches on the ends of the plate?.....
    The QR holds the camera very tightly. Loosen the QR plate only to remove the camera, and just slide the camera out. The rail is made by RRS, and they supply a small screw for the end, to prevent the rail from slipping out should the QR clamp be inadvertently loosened. I remove that screw so I can insert the rail into the QR from either end.

I have a 410 and I believe it uses an RC2 QR plate. Have used it for a lot of years and also liked the geared axies. For the most part though I have shifted to AS QR systems. I currently use an AS B2 with a long plate and 3/8 screw for my Wehman 8x10. That all sits on a Benro C-328n6, which is really very nice. The larger camera allows me to get by with only extending the two upper segments. Very stable. I use a Weifeng ball mount with 70mm QR plate on a Weifeng CF tripod for my Toyo 4x5. Best part of that is that both ball mount and tripod shipped for $234 total. The Toyo is pretty stout, and I find the combination quite stable, although the longest lens I use is a 250 Fuji W.

Stew

Here I am again,

I narrowed my choice down to:

Linhof 3-D ~ willing to pay up to 120 euro (probably too little)
    Manfrotto 410 geared head ~ 180 euro
    Gitzo G1270M - low profile ~ 160 euro
    Gitzo G1370M - low profile ~ 190 euro
    Sinar 2d head (maybe) ~ 150 euro

My questions:

1) would the G1270M be stable enough up to 400mm lenses? It has the same size of the plattform ~ 7x12 cm But is rated to 5 kg compared to 7kg of G1370M

2) What about the sinar head? Like this one: http://cgi.ebay.de/SINAR-PAN-TILT-HE...QQcmdZViewItem

3) If I want to attach a camera to Manfrotto 410 - do I have to use a QR plate (there is more than one camera being used - would have to get more plates)

4) If I would like to take an advantage of attachng my Tachihara with two screws (yes - the same tread on both - ~ 5cm apart) on G1270M or G1370M - is there a way to do it? I did not find a good view of the top plate.

5) How would you see the adwantage/disadvantage of linhof head versus the gitzo low profile?

Thanks

matus