Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Users of Epson 3800

Users of Epson 3800

I was pretty well set on replacing my Epson 2200 with the new 3800 until I read a rather disturbing user review on the B&H 3800 page. The user complained about pizza wheel marks and other similar problems that Epson supposedly says are "known issues." All in all it wasn't a real favorable review. So I'm curious what users here think about the 3800 in terms of both printing quality and mechanical problems similar to those noted in the B&H review. I know the printer doesn't have roll paper feed capability and I don't care about that, I know that switching back and forth between matte and photo black is a little time consuming and I don't care about that because I only use matte paper, and I know that ink is expensive and I don't care about that (not that costs are unimportant but I'm not a high volume printer and can live with the ink cost). In other words, I know the public downsides to the printer, I'm more interested in user thoughts about technical quality of the prints and mechanical problems like smudging at the edges or ends of the paper that Epson doesn't talk about.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Re: Users of Epson 3800

I've had one for a couple of months and couldn't be happier with the results. I'm using it to make digital negs for platinum and gum over platinum as well as pigment prints on papers like Cranes Museo and Hannemule Photo Rag. I've seen no evidence of pizza wheel marks and the printer has performed amazingly well. No issues with clogging. No hassles. The negs I'm making with this printer are smooth as a baby's butt and print extremely well. Changing from photo black to matte black only takes a minute or two and is done automatically based on media type. The one caveat to all this is that I haven't made any prints on glossy papers. Perhaps that's where people are seeing pizza wheels? Bottom line: Best $1200 I've spent in a LOOOONGGG time.
    Kerik Kouklis
    www.kerik.com
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion

I got a 3800 when they first came out. So far, I have been very happy with it. I haven't seen any pizza wheels on mine. I have printed on matte and glossy. I have only seen smudges on the paper edges when the platen setting is wrong. If you see them, switch to a wider setting. I have been very happy with the printing quality. I only print black and white. The only thing I have found difficult is to find a color tone I like on some papers. You have to spent time messing around with it. I am making prints I really like on Innova semi matte paper, although I just tested some Innova Fiba Ultra Smooth Gloss which I think I like better. Its surface is very much like an air dried silver print. D max is great. Before that, I was using matte papers. Overall I love the 3800.
    I should note that I haven't done any prints larger then 8X10. I just got some 17X22 and plan to print big this week. I'll let you know if I have any problems with that.
    Let me know if you have any other questions or I can help.

Peter

I purchased a 3800 about 3 months ago and I have nothing but praise for it. I've been printing primarily on Museo Silver Rag paper up to 17x22 and have had no marks of any sort on the paper. Initially, I also printed using Epson Ultrasmooth and Velvet Fine Art and those prints were perfect as well. I used to have a 2400 and figured I would get a RIP for this printer, but the Epson paper profiles (and the profile from Crane for the Silver Rag) are superb and so far I see no reason to spend the extra $$ on a RIP.

Hope this helps!

Dave

I'm one of the first to get the 3800 in the U.S. and I haven't seen any pizza marks. I mostly use Epson papers and an occasional Hawk Mountian Sparrow two sided. Changing inks isn't that time consuming nor all that expensive as in the the roll printers.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

When you guys need to print an occasional letter, can you do that with these Epson pigment-based ink inkjet printers? Or do you have another printer reserved strictly for home office stuff? My space is a little cramped, so if I could stick to just one printer, it would be very helpful.

I am not a regular user of a 3800 but I have used one during our last Scanning and Digital Workflow Workshop. The output was fine and it worked continuously for the three days of the workshop without a glitch. However, I was not overly impressed with the 'build quality' of the machine; it seemed overly 'plasticky.' If you don't need the 17" width you might want to take a look at the HP B9180 which I will be reviewing the May-June View Camera; short version of the review ... unqualified thumbs up ... its built like a tank and will cost you 600-700 less. If you do want the 17" capability then take a look at the Canon ipf5000 which is available for 200 more from some suppliers and is in another league than the 3800.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hohenstein View Post
    When you guys need to print an occasional letter, can you do that with these Epson pigment-based ink inkjet printers? Or do you have another printer reserved strictly for home office stuff? My space is a little cramped, so if I could stick to just one printer, it would be very helpful.
    I occasionally print a letter on my 2200. It's as easy as any other printer.

Thanks for all the information, the 3800 it is. Ted, I do want the 17" which is the main reason for buying the 3800 (that plus the K3 inks). I've read other comments about the "plastic" feel and I think I can live with that in a printer that just sits on my desk, as opposed to something I handle a lot such as a camera, tripod, etc.

Just as a matter of information for others, if you're a member of the Photoshop Users organization ($90 a year) B&H will give free shipping on a 3800, which will save me about $60. They may do the same for other printers but the 3800 is the one I know about.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

DTGWeb http://www.dtgweb.com/ will ship these free of charge also. The "build" quality compared to a machine like the 4800 seems less due to the fact that it doesn't have a roll transport system in it hence it weighs about 1/2. I wouldn't worry too much about it's ability to make prints for a long time to come.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.