Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Converting a 4x5 view camera to a......

Re: Converting a 4x5 view camera to a......

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Moat View Post
    It would help if there was something to see of what Bob Salomon is describing. A look at the Linhof website led me to this image:

http://www.linhof.de/english/images/...system-500.jpg
    What is shown in that diagram is the now discontinued, and hard-to-find, Technar handheld camera that Linhof offered for a while. As you can imagine, it was crafted out of existing Linhof parts borrowed from both the Technika line (i.e. the handle) and the studio line (i.e. the frame and the back). The missing part would be the lens cone which would have to be custom machined by someone like S.K. Grimes.

So in theory all you would need to make your own "Technar" would be:
    • an old Linhof studio camera w/ back (these are plentiful on eBay)
    • a Linhof anatomical grip ($50-$150 on eBay)
    • a lens with helical focusing mechanism appropriate for that lens
    • a custom lens cone

and some elbow grease!

Quote Originally Posted by MJSfoto1956 View Post
    So in theory all you would need to make your own "Technar" would be:
    • an old Linhof studio camera w/ back (these are plentiful on eBay)
    • a Linhof anatomical grip ($50-$150 on eBay)
    • a lens with helical focusing mechanism appropriate for that lens
    • a custom lens cone

and some elbow grease!
    Not all old Linhof studio cameras have a hot shoe for the viewfinder as Technar has. For that you would need to call Fotoman - they sell it. Thanks heavens for that, I was always taking them from old SLRs...

Certainly doesn't seem that tough. I have access to machining equipment for small parts; anything bigger could simply be done at one of several local machine shops for near $100 (given good plans with dimensions). There are also helical focus solutions from a few companies, including several selling through EBAY. I might be more inclined to build a box extension than having a cone machined, despite that a cone might be better looking. A box extension would be simpler to construct (aluminium).

What I wonder about is whether Linhof was the only company that made standards that took either a lensboard or back on either side. Do Sinar cameras work like that? What about Horseman or Toyo?

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio
    Last edited by Gordon Moat; 7-Apr-2007 at 12:50. Reason: spelling

The aluminum box is a cheaper solution but it gives the camera a much bigger dimension. Then there is the handle - if you attach it to the frame, you have to rig it. But all this still won't give the camera with shifts that was asked for...

What I wonder about is whether Linhof was the only company that made standards that took either a lensboard or back on either side. Do Sinar cameras work like that? What about Horseman or Toyo?

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio
    The Arca Swiss (at least the 6x9 metric) has the same possibility.

Adjustable shift would be tougher. This would require a machine shop. The only lower cost option I can imagine would be an offset lens mount, much like ALPA offer as an option; the downside being a fixed amount of shift built into the mount.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

The fixed amount of shift doesn't need to be bad. I have made a camera with a permanent rise - just for tree pictures and when using it I always wonder how's that possible it's just the right amount of rise for each tree I see..;-)

[QUOTE=Gordon Moat;232548]offset lens mount, much like ALPA

That is also what the Linhof Technorama 612 has. 8mm of offset when the camera is horizontal. None when it is held vertically.

A bit of looking at images on EBAY seems to indicate that some Cambo, some Horseman, and a few other cameras have rear standard that could mount a lensboard. Simply removing the bellows, then attatching a lensboard. That would at least get a project started, though all the details would consume lots of time and effort.

If a lensboard could be mounted at a regular, or 90º rotated position, then a fixed shift would work. The other alternative would be a rotating back, which would allow shift, or rise/fall, depending upon offset lensboard to back orientation. Doesn't seem like it would be a bad idea at all.

Obviously a viewfinder arrangement might be tough with shift. However, something that is at least close, or has markings that are close, might work okay. Then the only other part is a grip, with the previously mentioned Linhof grip seeming to be a good choice, or the Fotoman parts for something new.

There are a few EBAY sellers with Linhof Technika style boards with a helical attatched. Another source would be Fotoman. Calibrating everything would be tougher, though not impossible. Surprising these things never came up in that previous discussion on this forum.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

There are a few EBAY sellers with Linhof Technika style boards with a helical attatched. Another source would be Fotoman. Calibrating everything would be tougher, though not impossible. Surprising these things never came up in that previous discussion on this forum.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio
    Gordon, as you yourself suggest, it really takes a lot of time and effort and some knowledge too. When you go to the details, it starts to reveal more subtle problems to solve. With all these parts together - how will you solve the elementary problem of plan parallelism? Once you start to think that it's enough to "add a spacer" you have to see how can you put the spacer in a way strictly parallel to the film plane. And the spacer itself must be at the exact distance from the film plane - something not evident at all if you don't know exactly the distance. It's hard to measure something from a film plane... Just have a look at Linhof Technorama cameras - their film rail is polished for the exact precise position and shape.
    To put parts together is the easy part - to put them precisely and exactly for perfect function is a much different task.