Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: To Ship or Not to Ship Tripods

Scott Davis

Re: To Ship or Not to Ship Tripods

I'd just pack ONE tripod with ONE head inside your suitcase and be done with it. I've done that with my Manfrotto CF tripod with alternately a Gitzo magnesium ball-head or low profile pan/tilt head, to California, Spain, and Argentina. I flew major carriers, and had no problems anywhere along the way, even when flying within country in Argentina. If you are taking this trip for pleasure, why in god's name are you dragging along all these tripods? If it is for business, and you NEED all those tripods, then ship them, insured, and write off the shipping costs on your taxes.

They used to allow a tripod to be carried on. I would often ask the flight attendant to stow it in the closet right at the door there as you walk in the plane. Don't know now though...

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Moat View Post
    When I travel with my aluminium Bogen, I disassemble it to fit into my checked bag.
    That is what I do as well, however, Rich is shipping a very expensive carbon fiber tripod. DHL is the best bet.

Remember the two-bag 50-lb limit too. Pelican cases are heavy. A simple Liteware cargo case weighs less than half. I use a 33-inch Liteware Cargo for tripod and grip, and I stuff extra clothes in and make sure I am around 48-lbs. Heck, on one trip I brought a skateboard, helmet and pads just to fill up the case (and to make one illegal ride.)

I think if you fill it up with clothes and junk it looks a little less precious, and less like something worth stealing... wrap the head with your dirty underwear on the return leg ;-)

The Pelican case with the tripods weighs about 29 pounds (each bag has to be 50 pounds or less) and sneaks in under the 62" at about 61".

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

Terence

I have not had any problems putting tripods in checked luggage. The thieves out there seem to have no idea of the value. They're looking for cameras, laptops, etc. Things that are easy to sell. Working in construction I've often gotten offered things out of the trunks of cars, from laptops to vacuums. But never have I seen a tripod.

When I'm just taking a small tripod, I've had no problems taking it as carry-on. I must say, I am surprised at this though. And for LF, it's never a small tripod.

I've had a laptop pilfered in checked baggage (they didn't bother with the Canon F-1N and the lens that were next to the laptop) and once I put some loose change in the pocket of my tripod case and that was pilfered. I've checked my tripod many times in a Tenba TTP case, and it's always come through fine even after being thrown several feet to the tarmac from a baggage truck that made a sharp turn approaching the plane, but I haven't shipped a really high-end tripod before.

I do now have an expensive tripod, and I've thought about this problem, because eventually I'll have to check it, but I also get the sense that a tripod isn't a very likely target for pilferage. You have to be fairly knowledgeable about tripods to recognize a fancy tripod, and a large tripod is an awkward thing to steal in a discrete way. A laptop you could slip in a small bag or under your shirt. My new Gitzo GT-5540LS, I don't know.

I check all my Dynalites, tripod, lightstands, softboxes, and batteries. I mix my clothes throughout like Frank. I haven't had anything stolen yet. They always want to look however. The only gear I carry on are my cameras, lenses, a camera battery, charger, and laptop.

My brother-in-law works for the TSA. He has never mentioned anything about stuff getting ripped off. I don't worry about it much.

Some have mentioned already, but don't overload your bags. Once you hit 70 lbs it won't get on the plane. Anything over 50 lbs is usually charged a fee unless you are flying first class or have some sort of frequent flyer travel status.

I usually check my tripod as the second piece of luggage. I use a Lightware case that I lined inside with rigid foam for added protection. The tripod is a wooden Ries. I also use foam pipe insulation, the type that is cut through on one side, to slide over the leg sections and pack clothes in the case to help prevent damage. Nothing has been dinged in 15-20 trips. It has missed a flight while being inspected, but that only resulted in my having to wait an extra couple hours at the airport in Las Vegas until it arrived.

I check a 1327 Gitzo in a duffle bag. I surround it with clothes and make sure the duffle is full so there is no shifting. Worked fine on 8 flights over the last six months. I carry on the camera and lenses.

My bigger fear is theft rather than damage. So far, so good. Few people realize the value of a tripod, it does not advertise being expensive like a camera.

I also have insurance.

I figure in the worst case I get to my destination and would have to order a new one from B+H. And I would rather order something simple like a tripod than a camera.

Good luck and have a great trip!