Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: To Ship or Not to Ship Tripods

Re: To Ship or Not to Ship Tripods

If you are that concerned about your tripods, leave one at home and carry on the other. I've done so several times, although in general I pack tripods in my duffel bag, wrapped with a sleeping pad or clothes (like Galen Rowell used to). By the way, the best recipe for peace of mind is a good insurance policy. I always check in my LF kit.

Rich that's still a lot of gear even if it's one case. But if you intend on bringing all that gear, then just take one tripod with a head that can be used commonly. I also have the Think Tank bag, the airport acceleration and the airport addicted, great bags. I assume that you'll have all your film in a shoulder bag. You might also want to bring along a pair of binoculars, they come in real handy when you're working in virgin territory.

We share a lot of the same glass. Given that you have the 240 and 300 Apo ronars, which work well in macro mode, and the 150 Sironar-S which also works well in limited macro ratios, do you really need the 120 macro schneider on this trip? Do you do that much macro work? The 240 would give you a longish bellows as a macro but also gives a nice working distance as well.

Hi Brian,

Again thanks for the recommendations. Actually in addition to the lenses you mentioned the Schneider f 5.6 120mm Apo Symmar L also could be used fairly well for up to about 1:3. The Toho only has about 365-380mm of bellows. I may well leave the 120mm Apo Makro HM lens at home but considered bringing it because it is so small and light. I appreciate your suggestions on the single tripod. If I only carry 1, I may still opt for both Markins Heads however which I may be able to pack in the Think Tank Airport Acceleration. If I only take 1 tripod I am not sure if I should carry the smaller 1257LVL or the 13XX tripod with the Gitzo 1321 leveling head. Certainly the 1257LVL is lighter and has the leveling built in to the tripod. It can certainly be weighted. I have replaced the long column of the 1257LVL with the short column (but had a custom made spacer to allow the use of the level which can be removed to bring the tripod to the ground; the hook can be used on the short column). If I only bring the 1257LVL I can pack it in my Think Tank Bazooka Tripod Case and probably put it in my stowed luggage.

I am shipping and having additional film shipped since Quickload film in particular is so bulky; I am quite concerned about having the QL film checked by TSA. The film is being shipped along with backpacking equipment in a Coleman Cooler. I use the cooler at the other end to hide and store film and equipment in the car. My 2nd carry on will be my Tenba computer case (still debating on the Tenba or the Think Tank compurer insert) which will carry some extras including Rollei 35S, compass, Brunton ADC Pro Weather Station, GPS, Steripen, Binoculars, Horseman 6 X 12 back, Kodak Readyload Holder, filters...

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

I'm amazed a Tuan's success with checking his Super Trekker AW. The key, I suppose, is the insurance and good karma.

I've carried on 1500 and 1300 series Gitzo's post 911 with no difficulty. If you want to avoid the $$$ of shipping (which offers no guarantee that things will arrive to your third party destination) I would recommend that you arrive early and try to carry most everything aboard. If you're turned around at security, just double back and check the gear that wasn't allowed.

An alternate strategy would be to carry on the valuables, and check the Pelican case etc.

Good light upon landing!

Quote Originally Posted by naturephoto1 View Post
    I am shipping and having additional film shipped since Quickload film in particular is so bulky; I am quite concerned about having the QL film checked by TSA.
    Shipping the film is a good idea, because it can be bulky. However, I've flown a lot with QL film, and TSA has never even given it a second thought - especially if it isn't sealed.

"When I travel with my aluminium Bogen, I disassemble it to fit into my checked bag."

That's what I've done for years, using a hard-shell suitcase with a variety of different tripods inlcuding the Gitzo 1325. I feel pretty comfortable doing that, I don't think theft is likely with my beat up old gray suitcase. The only problem I've had is that with some tripods I have to remove the head to fit the tripod in and getting the head off can often be difficult. I've also occasionally used the Gitzo travel bag but after reading of thefts by baggage handlers I stopped doing that. The Gitzo bag is a very nice looking bag, heavily padded, nice blue and gray leatherette design fabric, and "Gitzo" in big letters on the outside. Not that the baggage handlers are likely to know what Gitzo (or even a tripod) is but the thing screams "expensive."
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    . . . . The only problem I've had is that with some tripods I have to remove the head to fit the tripod in and getting the head off can often be difficult. . . . . .
    On my old 3021N legs, the centre column comes completely out of the legs. That leaves a 3047 head attatched to the post. When I remove the handles, the 3047 can fold a bit onto itself, and the combination of centre column and 3047 ends up as long as the 3021N legs. Definitely still somewhat long in luggage, but with the right size bag it sort of fits. I usually place the handles into a large freezer bag.

I sometimes fly in and out of Houston. In the last several years, there have been theft rings caught at both of the major airports there. I consider theft a real possibility, though like other have mentioned there is a bigger chance of the airline loosing your luggage. Worse case is I could just buy another tripod at whatever location I land.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio