Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm new to LF - opinions on tripods wanted

I'm new to LF - opinions on tripods wanted

I just purchased my first LF camera (Linhof Color Kardan 45S - still waiting for it to arrive) and I am looking at several tripods on e-bay and would like opinions.

The first is a SUNRAY "large format" tripod w/9x6 1/2" platform head. I don't have any details on it, but it looks very heavy.

Next is a Manfrotto 3021BN w/Manfrotto 3030 head. The Manfrotto is a little shorter than I might like (I'm 6'2") and I am not sure how sturdy it will be for the Linhof (8+ pounds).

The last one is a Giottos MT8180 w/a MH-3000 head and Manfrotto 394 base plate. It looks like it would be a good choice.

any opinions or thoughts?

Re: I'm new to LF - opinions on tripods wanted

Look on ebay for used TILTALL tripods (get the ones made by Leitz/Leica). Less than $100, weigh only 6# complete with built-in pan/tilt head, built like a Russian tank, will last a lifetime. The head matches perfectly with the base of the 45S Linhof.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Look for a matching Linhof Professional for around $150. A lot of tripod for the money and it will keep the proper uber atitude when the going gets tough.

Don't cheap out!

Quote Originally Posted by gaylandd View Post

The last one is a Giottos MT8180 w/a MH-3000 head and Manfrotto 394 base plate. It looks like it would be a good choice.

any opinions or thoughts?
    Is that the CF model? IIRC it's less then 1lb lighter then the heavy metal model. Never made any sense to me.

I can't speak to the specific tripods you mentioned but cn tell you that some recommended here are way too light for your camera. The Kardan Color 45S is a solid, heavy rail camera and needs a lot of tripod for stability, even with minimum bellows extension. Bob Salomon may weigh in with the actual weight of the camera but my memory is that it is around 15 pounds (I used one for years). As a rule of thumb you want a tripod that that can handle at least double the weight of your camera. I used to use a heavy old Davis and Sanford tripod that could easily handle a truck.

Welcome to large format. Now that you have taken the plunge may I suggest some reading

User's Guide to the View Camera by Jim Stone
    Using the View Camera that I wroe
    Large Format Nature Photography by Jack Dykinga

check your local library

Also, the Free Articles section of the View Camera web site
    www.viewcamera.com

When you ask for an opinion here you will get a different one for each responder. Go back and ask them how they use their recommended piece of equipment and what they can compare it to. This will give you more context for their opinion and help you decide what will work for you.

If you are close enough to Portland there is a community photo goup there with several large format people. Join up and you will get a lot of help.

steve Simmons
    publisher, View Camera magazine

When it comes to tripods, get a damn good one that can take the weight.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Whatever you buy, as Ted mentioned, make sure it is rated to handle about twice the weight of camera + lens + head; that way it will definately be stable.

If you will use it away from a car, or hike with it, then pay the money for Carbon fiber; every hike you will thank yourself a thousand times if you do and curse yourself a thousand times if you don't.

Gitzo CF are expensive, but good. Check for used at KEH Camera Brokers and Midwest Photo Exchange.

As noted, opinions on tripods will vary widely. My suggestion would be to look at the basic design elements of the various models, along with their rated support weight specs, and choose one that makes sense for your height and working style.

I use a light-weight Bogen/Manfrotto 3221 leg set for my 4x5 field camera, but prefer the heavier 3236 leg set with center braces for monorails (4x5 or 8x10). The lighter leg sets tend to have only one or two preset positions for the leg splay, while some heavier leg sets, like the 3236, are continuously adjustable and secured in position by knobs on the center braces. The latter design gives you more flexibility in setting the leg positions wide enough to give stable support for the heavier cameras, or in windy situations.

Heads also vary in design and convenience. For monorail cameras, I prefer the Bogen/Manfrotto #410 geared head, as it makes it easier to make fine adjustments in head position without having to hold onto the camera. For field cameras I use the 3-knob 3047 head. The 410 geared head might be a little light-duty for your heavy Linhof, however. But, I've used it with my Toyo 810G without any real problems.

You may also find that having an adjustable bar clamp that will grip the camera's rail and clamp onto a tripod leg, once the camera is in position, will be helpful for greater stability. I've also used a second, lighter, tripod for this purpose.

The best tripod is a quarter twenty screw in a large block of cement