Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Words for the Road

Re: Words for the Road

I don't know about "insprirational" but when on a photography trip I like to take several books to read (just finished "Glass Castles" and "Them," both good but nothing about landscapes or geography) including something about photography, often Edward Weston's Daybooks, Ansel Adams Letters, something by Robert Adams, anything by John Szarkowski. I also enjoy the photographs and writing in Ray McSavaney's book.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

My most inspirational book when I'm deep woods hiking: Kathryn Kane's Swiss Army Knife Handbook: The Official History and Owners Guide. Everytime that I read it, I wanna go mod something and find a way to take a shot in an impossible location.

Terence

"A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson. Not sure it counts as inspirational, but it does match my typical nature encounters. I've probably read it a dozen times and given away ten copies.

I'm with Terence on this. Also makes a great Book on Tape (CD) since the author reads it.

Well, here's a data point... I was in Jamaica last week (first ever tropical beach vacation) and read Jack Kerouac's "The Dharma Bums". I didn't take the 4x5, only made happy-snaps, but have lots of ideas now for the coming season.

Thanks for all the suggestions - I hope others benefit too! I found it interesting that Blood Meridian and its author was mentioned more than once. I haven't found a used copy yet but it will most definitely be in my glove compartment on my next road trip.

Desert Solitaire and Dharma Bums have been on my list for some time - I shouldn't have too much trouble finding used copies of those books.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Knowles View Post
    Interesting, I read "Pilgrim at Tinker Creek" and never understood it. My favorite for the road are Galen Rowell's and Clarence Glacken's one lifetime book (rare for a tenured professor at UC Berkely) which takes your lifetime to read.
    1) For me, reading Pilgrim at Tinker Creek isn't so much understood as it is experienced. Her contemplative approach to nature writing slows me down and helps me focus in on the simple things. If Annie Dillard can sit and stare as a water bug sucks a frog into a limp skin, I can hold off a bit on locking down my ballhead before settling on a composition.

2) I'm looking foreward to checking out this Clarence Glacken recommendation.

Lost Horizons By Hilton. I am still looking for shangri la

I've got a short road trip coming up. I'm taking Thomas Mann's 'The Magic Mountain' along. I'm 3/4 of the way through and its been a delightful book so far.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Paul Cocklin

Travels with Charley, by John Steinbeck.

Eric Woodbury

When I travel, I like to read about where I am going. One of my favorites was when I went to Alaska and read John McPhee's, Coming Into The Country.