Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Words for the Road

Words for the Road

I like to have an inspirational book in the car or pack when I'm on a photography trip. One of my favorites is Annie Dillard's "Pilgrim at Tinker Creek".

While planning a trip for this summer/fall, I recently discovered an excellent book entitled: "Alaska Wilderness - Exploring the Central Brooks Range"

Here's the Amazon Link:

http://www.amazon.com/Alaska-Wildern.../dp/0520244982

And here's a short biography on the author and founder of the Wilderness Society, Robert Marshall:

http://www.wilderness.org/AboutUs/Marshall_Bio.cfm

Please recommend your favorite inspirational books for future trips!

Re: Words for the Road

Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian. It's a severe and violent book and perhaps not for everyone yet the writing is stunningly beautiful and lends itself particularly well to harsh and remote landscapes, where I usually like to camp and hike.

Interesting, I read "Pilgrim at Tinker Creek" and never understood it. My favorite for the road are Galen Rowell's and Clarence Glacken's one lifetime book (rare for a tenured professor at UC Berkely) which takes your lifetime to read.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey for desert lovers.

Cormack McCarthy again, but the trilogy of All the Pretty Horses, The Crossing and Cities of the Plain. Unfortunately all are not on cd yet. I have read them all three times each and will read them again. IMO three of the most important works of fiction on the SW (including Mexico) ever written.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

William Faulkner: Go Down Moses

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Graham View Post
    Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian. It's a severe and violent book and perhaps not for everyone yet the writing is stunningly beautiful and lends itself particularly well to harsh and remote landscapes, where I usually like to camp and hike.
    GREAT BOOK!!! one of my favourites EVER!! Theres one passage regarding the 'Judge' about a quarter way in describing him passing through the landscape that was one of the most incredible pieces of writing/poetry I've ever witnessed. Child of God is great too, if disturbing. Check it out. Two of my "top ten books ever" list are by McCarthy.

My vote for inspirational book: Riddley Walker by Russell Hoban... a little hard to get into for the first three pages due to it being written in a phonetic language - then it's like a ROCKET!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Cormack McCarthy again, but the trilogy of All the Pretty Horses, The Crossing and Cities of the Plain. Unfortunately all are not on cd yet. I have read them all three times each and will read them again. IMO three of the most important works of fiction on the SW (including Mexico) ever written.
    Hey - another guy with incredibly good taste, too! I haven't read those ones though.

JW, check out Suttree as well if you havent already- amazing book, and another one I sometimes take on trips. I have everything he's written, and wish there were many more.

can't remember if I read it - I think I HAVE it, or HAD it... but never read... thanks for the advice.