First of all a question that can be answered objectively. I am told that all Ca ltar lenses are made by Rodenstock, therefore are Rodenstock quality. I have an old 375mm Caltar that I have not tested. This lens was probably made in the 6 0s (guessing by wear & tear, plus were I obtained the lens) Any chance it is Rod enstock quality ? > Now for the subjective part. I am looking for a sharp lens with some character for 8x10. I will use it for general use, portraits, landscape, still life etc- all black & white. I am going to test two different lenses: Schnieder Symar S 3 60mm 6.8 (I know how big it is) and a Gold Dot 14" Dagor ( in a copal shutter ma de after schnieder bought Dagor- I am guessing the lens was made in the early 70 s). > They are both sharp lenses. I am expecting the comparrison to be simular to comp aring a 35mm format Nikkor lens to a 35mm format Zeiss lens. Both are sharp but the Nikkor has more contrast than the Zeiss. In this scenerio I am guessing the Schnieder to be like the Nikkor (higher contrast) and the Dagor to be like the Z eiss (sharp but less contrast than Schnieder) > Any opinions ? Suggestions ?? > thanks in advance