Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I thought I'd try and start a picture post.

I thought I'd try and start a picture post.

No one will see my stuff at the end so I though I'd post some stuff I'd done in the last couple of weeks. This is me still on double figures in terms of large format shots. So techinical people might get offended. Also nothing is really too spotted yet so no dust comments. The film dryer is in the post..

First Up. My other half Gayle on holiday. A quick frame before going for a walk. I love the whole tilt shit thing for lowering the depth of field I'm used to f1.2 in 35mm so 5.6 on the 180mm symmar and shifts are as close as I can get just now. This is nothing more than a pleasing holiday shot.

Next is the Ardwell House ex- Water Turbine house next to the low pond. This used to power the house of rich landed gentry. Until it broke and their inherited money no doubt dried up. I took about 10 light readings on this and was impressed at how I had retained detail in everything apart from the brightest of highlights at the pipe holes in the wall.

Rock. Is pretty simple. The beach at Ardwell is rocky so what better to photograph than the native landscape. Bottom of the frame is a bit distracting but I'll try and slow down in the future.

Last up is the Agility Dog Test Judges Seat. We were in the park and a public dog show was on. Although public as it may be I had one person say to me " why are you taking photos, especially for fun. Are you stupid?" This came from a person who has spent months training a dog to jump over horse jumps and run through a tunnel. So this I though was fitting that the judges chair looked a bit remote from it all. This incidentally was the first outing on the 135mm Xenar since i rebuilt the shutter and then polished it all up and everything. I can now get the camera and 1 darkslide in a bag for an 35mm slr. So this was a handholding test as well. Dirty as sin on the neg.

Tech Specs...

First 3 FP4 souped in DDX in a print tube, exposed for 100 with a yellow filter on the turbine.

Final shot Plus-x rated at 50 asa in D-76. Film is 15 years out of date.

Hope you all enjoy. I think I'm kinda hooked on the 5x4 thing so I'll be here all the time now.

Re: I thought I'd try and start a picture post.

Thanks for sharing your images. I like your approach to the portrait, the framing is very dynamic and conveys the energy of the lady concerned. I also like the negative space you have in some of your images.

Steve

Number two is my favorite.I could see a little creative dodging and burning to enhance it even more!

I like the portrait very much. The pipes could probably be tighter and the beach is pretty but I don't care for where you placed the tones (too light). The last shot is no comment ;-)

Looks like each shot could use some sort of burning along the top edge ...

The portrait almost looks like it came out of a hassleblad.

I must admit I have been scanning and just leaving stuff just now. I have about 10 films in backlog to get through and another few handfuls to process. Plus about 20000 digital images to actually sort out :-( An awful lot of work. I must say a thank you to Frank, seeing as the first time I came here I stumbled upon his images and thought they were great portraits. I have come from a background whereby the only use of larger format I have seen has been in strict documentational fields.

The last image isn't the strongest, as with the grammaical structure of this post, mainly due to rushed nature of it all.

The Turbine I agree has a need for some work, but I just am a bit unsure where I start. Suggestions would be appriciated.I can supply a BIG file for those who want a pop. Finally the Rocks and the tone ... I just caught a black in the shadow with the intention of keeping this high key as I'll be getting it printed onto an aluminium plate at some point. So the contrast should pop a bit on that.

Thanks all. Please enjoy my latest work which is a study of a spiral ramp in a car park. My car broke down taking this, nice injectors jammed open and flooded it so I looked good getting in trying to escape!

Steven

Doug Dolde

I think you're just showing off your gorgeous girlfriend/wife whichever the case may be Not that I blame you for that.

Not at all, yes she is my girlfriend, but I'm thankfully not a one trick pony ...

Fiona has been my regular photo muse for a few years now. This was also my first proper dance with type 55, the sheet was 10 years out of date!! I was given 3 and have kept 2 so far in 5 months. I just can't justify buying it. This is a pig to scan in the epson 700 as the chemical streaks I left reflect as rainbows. in the end I had to tape it upside down into the bottom of the 5x4 holder to get it going. Oh the other thing about this shot is that it is the first shot I took with my 180mm Symmar that the navy paid to get the shutter overhauled on as they sold it broken :-D s.w.e.e.t

Steven

haha they both look very classical English. In a good way ;-)

Classical Scots unfortunately :-D