Thread: PBS: DOCUMENTING THE FACE OF AMERICA: Roy Stryker and the FSA/OWI Photographers

Ted Mastrandonas

PBS: DOCUMENTING THE FACE OF AMERICA: Roy Stryker and the FSA/OWI Photographers

Did anyone catch this show that premiered tonight? I was scanning some film when it came on and stopped to watch. It presented a lot of good background about the photographers and the photographs they made during this period in time.

Here's a link to some info about the show:
    http://documentary.org/content/pbs-d...-photographers

Ted

Re: PBS: DOCUMENTING THE FACE OF AMERICA: Roy Stryker and the FSA/OWI Photographers

It was informative. Had just finished reading Evans biography so some of the details on the early period were known. Unfortunately, most of the show's time viewing photographs were the well-known iconic images.
    van Huyck Photography
    "Searching for the moral justification for selfishness" JK Galbraith

Re: PBS: DOCUMENTING THE FACE OF AMERICA: Roy Stryker and the FSA/OWI Photographers

It was shown here (Tampa Bay) at 4 AM this morning, so I'm a little bleary eyed right now.
    I thought that I was pretty well informed about FSA, but I learned a great deal from this program. There were many images I wan't familiar with, but there was a lot of cropping for the documentary, and they went by too fast to really appreciate.
    Definitely worth watching, but superficial.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Saw the progam and it was just fabulous. Several things I got from it aside from the personal bios and marvelous images. First, the power of this new tool called photography was enormous in bringing issues front and center. We had over 40% of the American population working in agriculture and getting hammered and the urban percentage inclyding the lawmakers had no cluse as to the strife and suffering that was taking place. Secondly, the political process at the time was very bias and was not very receptive to efforts in using these images to educate and inform. Lastly, if it were not for a very astute and savy Roy Striker that understood how serious the risks at the time were to break up and destroy this collection of images, we might never have had an opportunity to see many of these images today.

I saw the show and it was great, one of the reasons i watched it was that the Univerisity of Kentucky art Museum recently had a traveling show on the same photographers during the same peroid but these photos were color, and many people didn't know that the FSA also worked in color, but not too many publications at the time could reproduce the color. These photographs were found in the Library of Congress and were put together for an exhibit.

http://www.shoppbs.org/product/index...entPage=search

Available at the end of the month it looks like. Thanks for the tip.

- Randy

Man! I was just in Lexington (twice!) and I had no idea - I would have stopped by to see that for certain. Is the exhibit gone?

- Randy

Yes, it was by chance that I turned to it, I can't get enough of the history of photography and the people who were out there doing it.

Yes sorry the exibition is gone, but I think if you check the web sight for the library of congress you may find where it has gone to

Here is a web sight to look at

http://www.flickr.com/photos/library...7603671370361/
    Last edited by Tintype Bob; 3-Sep-2008 at 07:32. Reason: more info