Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arca Swiss and Maxwell screens

Arca Swiss and Maxwell screens

I have reviewed all of the previous posts I could find relative to using Maxwell screens on an Arca Swiss. I have just purchased a used 4x5 from Rod Klukas that has the MicroOrbix front standard. The camera is in the mail and I haven't had a chance yet to compare brightness through the OEM glass and the Maxwell screen on my Toho. There are a few previous posts from Arca Swiss users that have a Maxwell screen. Do you folks notice a significant difference in brightness? And, for those who are still using the original glass, does it seem bright enough for f8 lenses?

For the Arca Swiss-Maxwell folks, any recommendations about which Maxwell screen to get (I use 90 to 450 lenses) and do I need to have Bill Maxwell score it in a particular way to be able to use the MicroOrbix. Thanks.

Doug Dolde

Re: Arca Swiss and Maxwell screens

Mine is getting one installed right now by Precision Camera Works. It's necessary to mill some metal off the surface the screen seats on to keep the focal plane correct.

There's no special scoring for Orbix though...you just get a gridded screen or a plain one as you chose.

As far as how much of an improvement it is I have yet to see for myself although others here have reported it's better than the stock screen (which is pretty good anyway). I use the reflex viewer and need all the brightness I can get.

Bill Maxwell gets $265 for them then there's the milling charges TBD.

Doug, thanks for the information. I had Bill Maxwell install his screen on my Toho as we weren't sure which of the two spacers were required. Are you having Precision Camera Works do it because Bill doesn't? I would appreciate hearing about both the cost and how long it takes them when it is all finished.

BTW, I really enjoyed the images on your site.

I have no personal experience with the Maxwell. But I can tell you that the A-S ground glass is very bright. So far I have not found a situation where i wished I had a brighter ground glass. The most difficult lens that I have to focus is the Nikkor 90 f8. I used to struggle with this lens in low light but I have had no problem with the A-S glass.

My suggestion would be to wait. Use the camera for a while. You can always get the Maxwell later.

I have an Arca and a Toho with a Maxwell screen. I once did a very quick comparison of the screens and found them roughly equivilent in brightness. I was not motivated to change my stock Arca screen. I would wait until you get it and then compare. I would also be curious to hear your opinion on the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    I have no personal experience with the Maxwell. But I can tell you that the A-S ground glass is very bright. So far I have not found a situation where i wished I had a brighter ground glass. The most difficult lens that I have to focus is the Nikkor 90 f8. I used to struggle with this lens in low light but I have had no problem with the A-S glass.

My suggestion would be to wait. Use the camera for a while. You can always get the Maxwell later.
    I second this as I use a Docter 240/f9 with my newer Arca Field with Orbix a lot.

My suggestion would be to wait too... I have the stock A/S screen in my F-Metric and find it excellent. It is not as bright as the Ebony screen, but it is far smoother and easier to see minute focus changes on than the Ebony. Kind of fits better with the precision-adjustment design of the Arca IMO... The other consideration is the A/S screen is EXACTLY on the film plane and delivers perfect focus at the film plane; I'm not sure aftermarket screens will be as good.

the the final point: if/when I break it, I will replace it with another identical factory A/S screen -- so *IF* you do decide to go the Maxwell route, I will buy your A/S screen/fresnel set
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

You all know the long list of cameras I've had [almost as bad as Jack ;-) ] and I was impressed and thought the modern AS screen was the nicest ever, very smooth and easy to use with wide angles and longer lenses.

Some screens are good for certain ranges, but I think the stock AS was one of the nicest all around...

Thanks to everyone for their input. I would prefer not to spend any additional money unless there is a clear advantage in it, as there was with the Toho. Glad to hear that so many of you find the factory glass some of the best. Based on your responses, I will use the Arca "as is" for a while. I will be interested in hearing from Doug after he has had a chance to use his with the Maxwell screen.

Don.
    Enjoy your A/S camera. Feel free to ask any questions. I assume that it is a classical model with 171mm boards, or a classical 'field' with 110-171mm bellows.
    If the Maxwell screens costs $265 plus milling charges, I would put this money aside somewhere instead and look for a used binocular viewer instead ;-)
    An important thing on a used A/S camera is to check that everything is smooth, namely the zero detents for tilts either base tilts or the 2.5° clicks of the micro-orbix should be perfect.
    The function supports should lock & unlock perfectly and slide perfectly without play and without applying too much force.
    The spirit levels should display the same indication when all titls are zeroed and the whole camera leveled.