Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any small soft focus lens for 8x10 existingl

Any small soft focus lens for 8x10 existingl

Hi!
    I am looking for a small soft focus lens that will fit on a Technika lensboard and will cover 8x10. Is there anythink available? Perhaps the Graf Variable Anastigmat will be the one? There is one at ebay, but I am not sure if it covers 8x10 (http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...2913&rd=1&rd=1)
    Thanks for your advice
    Best wishes
    stefan d

Re: Any small soft focus lens for 8x10 existingl

Email the guy as he has quite a few items on his website, and could probably give you some good info on what he has in stock, and what might be best for you.

http://www.igorcamera.com/

Most lenses designed as soft focus portrait lenses that cover 8x10" are pretty large, since they are also generally fast lenses, around f:4 or f:4.5. If you don't need that speed, there are other lenses that can become soft lenses wide open.

I recently had a Busch Vademecum Satz II adapted to a Copal Press 1 shutter. The cells are 34mm; the original maximum aperture of the barrel is 19mm; but the maximum aperture of the Copal Press 1 is 30mm, so that gives me another 1-2 stops wider than the originally intended maximum aperture of the original lens set, so it can produce effects like this--

The Vademecum lens cells are just meniscus lenses, so it wouldn't be too hard to make something like this from readily available optical parts.

The write up for this lens says it covers 8x10. Send a question to the seller to confirm. I've bought from this seller, and had only good results.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Get an 8 3/4" Verito and use just the rear element alone. Or if you're in tight for a head, use both front and rear together. Still tight on that small board, but it will fit. Better yet, dedicate an old Kodak 2D with a packard shutter inside which is less $$ than any of the lenses so you can use bigger stuff up front.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

A largish lens like an 11.5" Verito can fit on a Technika lensboard if you're creative about it--

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=11846

It might sound weird, but have you ever thought about a pinhole? Laser drilled holes provide amazing quality. Get an insert for a Copal 0 and off you go

Regards
    Stephan

I just acquired a 10" Veritar (coated Verito) on a Tech board -- it fits just like David's above I'm sure it would cover 8x10 with the front cell removed but probably covers 8x10 as-is, albeit with a really soft vignette effect! I have not even mounted it on the 8x10 yet, but will mount it up later today and report back with what I see on the GG...

As an alternate, most of the convertable Symmar's were softer-focus in their converted state with the front cell removed. You'd probably want at least the 240 for 8x10 -- it converts to 420 I think?
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

I was able to get a 305 Kodak Portrait lens in a #5 Universal on a 4" board. I think I had to shim it off the board about 1/4" to get it on the camera ( a 5x7 deardorff). I dont remember it being to difficult to jerryrig it all.

Thanks for all answers. Spezially to Jim because I have a Verito 8 3/4" in a Technika lensboard. I knew that only the use of the rear element is possible and that its then a 14" lens. But I didnt thougt that it will then cover 8x10. That is great!
    Is there a difference between a 8 3/4" Verito with the rear element only and a normal 14" Verito?

stefan d