schneider symmar s mc 360 6.8 /
    schneider symmar s mc 480 8.4 /

or

schneider super symmar xl 150 5.6 mc. aspheric /
    sinar sinaron se 300 5.6 /
    schneider symmar s mc 480 8.4. /

Please let me know, thank you.

Lenses for 8 x 10

You are not comparing apples and apples with the different focal lengths. Do you need something as wide as the 150 which is half normal. If so then get one.

steve simmons

Lenses for 8 x 10

Hi,

I mostly use 300 mm and 480 mm (both Schneider Symmar's) and sometimes 150 mm asph., 240 mm (rarely) and 360 mm (more often).

My proposition: the best would be a combination of both!

Best regards and best success

Lenses for 8 x 10

If YOU don't know what you need, then you don't need it.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Lenses for 8 x 10

There is one basis of comparison between these two lenses. The 360 has much greater movements. Stopped down, it easily exceeds 500mm, whereas one will obtain very limited movements with the 240mm Symmar-S.

Large format isn't the same without the capability of making adjustments.

At the same time, the 360mm Symmar-S is a GARGANTUAN lens. It is huge and heavy. I had one and sold it for that reason. And, as for the 480mm . . . !

An alternative to the 240mm Symmar S that has greater movements is the Fuji 250mm f6.7 with an image circle of 389mm. (Not the f6.3.) Or, get the 355mm G-Claron f9.

Lenses for 8 x 10

Buy a 300mm, and let it tell you what you need next. All the lenses you listed are very good (and very expensive), but as it depends on your own personal way of seeing, you have to find out what you want rather than have other people tell you what you want.

BTW, working with only one lens is as liberating as it is limiting.

Lenses for 8 x 10

My suggestion, Daniele, would be to start with one lens that is fairly close to "normal" for 8x10, and then consider others as may be suggested by your shooting environment and focal length preferences for the format after you've used it for a while. For example, I found that my preference on 8x10 leans toward wider than normal, while my preference on 4x5 leans toward longer than normal.

The 250/6.7 Fuji or the 355/9 G-Claron that Neil suggested are good candidates for that first lens.

Lenses for 8 x 10

What lenses and what format are you using now? If you are using 4x5 then take your favorite lenses and double their focal length. If you are using medium take your favorite lenses and multiply their focal length by 4. If you are using 35mm then use a factor of six. This is much better for you than arbitrarily taking someone else's recommendation. Because the proportions change a little from format to format there will not be an exact match.

If you are new to large format there are several articles here that might help

http://www.viewcamera.com/archives.html

Here are some books that might be helpful

Jim Stone’s User’s Guide to the View Camera

My book Using the View Camera

Jack Dykinga’s book Large Format Nature Photography.

Check one/all out from your local library (I have no financial interest in books being checked out of a library).

steve simmons
    www.viewcamera.com

-Rob bigcameraworkshops.com Robert Skeoch's Avatar

Lenses for 8 x 10

I think you might be starting at a point many people would consider an "ending point"
    I would suggest getting any one lens and shooting with it for a while and seeing where it takes you.
    If it was me.... that lens would be a Fuji 300C F8.5 for 8x10. Not near as heavy as the others.
    I would then add a Fuji 450C F12 (copal 1 shutter with the same filter size as the 300C) This is my favorite lens.
    Then I would add a Fuji 240A (comes in a copal 0 shutter... supper light weight) Since I don't use the 240 much I wouldn't consider the 150mm it's too wide.
    I might consider a Fuji 600C down the road..... but don't really want to carry the weight.

Just my 2 cents worth... which is about what it's worth.

-Rob Skeoch
    BigCameraWorkshops.com

Lenses for 8 x 10

What sort of subjects are you shooting? Are they landscapes with wide angles? Or does your subject fill the frame? Before buying any lens, consider what you shoot and how any prospective new lens will fit into your style of photography.