Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gitzo Traveler Tripod

Gitzo Traveler Tripod

I am looking to build up a very lightweight LF backpacking kit. The tripod is a major contribution to the weight of the rig. Gitzo makes the Traveler tripod series. They are quite compact (~14 inches when folded, five section) and lightweight (2.2 lbs, carbon fiber). However the smallest one is rated for only 4.4 lbs. They would be a nice choice for backpacking with a LF camera from a size and weight perspective but they are pretty minimal from a weight handing point of view. Does anyone have any experience with them for LF photography? Can one push them a couple of pounds beyond their rating with acceptable performance? Any other recommendations for a ~2lb tripod for a 4x5 ~3lb camera?
    Thanks,
    Dave B.

Re: Gitzo Traveler Tripod

I have a Gitzo 1227, which is rated for 17.6 lb. It is overkill for my 3 lb Toho, sufficient for my 7.5 lb Sinar F1, but is right at the limit (in terms vibration dampening) with my 13 lb 5x7, which is below its weight rating.

A light tripod such as the one you are considering will possibly carry more than its rated weitht, but it may not be stiff enough to hold a LF camera steady for the exposure times required with LF.

Even with my Toho I would not use a lighter tripod than the 1227, which weighs 3.4 lb, 4.4 lb including the ballhead.

When hiking I carry the tripod in my hand and have never found it to be a burden.

In most cases the weak spot in a tripod is the neck section of the head, not the tripod itself. But in the case of the traveler series look at the skinny little bottom section legs. That fourth or fifth section has all the rigidity of cooked spaghetti.

I have a 1228 and never liked the fourth section, it was just to small. I now use a 1257 and there is a lot less sway. At that, my camera is a Horseman HD. Very small and light.

I think of the traveler as a M/F TLR size tripod.

Hi David,

I have the original Gitzo 1228 (4 section) and the newer Gitzo 1257LVL (3 section leveling version of the 1257) tripods. The 1257 series tripods are more rigid than the 4 section equivalents. They do not collapse as much or telescope as much however. The 1257 series is a good compromise for backpacking. If you need a head for the camera consider the Markins M10 or possibly the Markins Q3 Emille. I have the Markins M20 which is still larger which I have moved to my larger 13XX series Gitzo. I purchased the Markins Q3 for my Toho Shimo FC-45X and my Mamiya 7II for long hikes and backpacking. The Q3 weighs only 13.4 oz but my modified Toho FC-45X only weighs 2 lbs 12 oz. My Gitzo 1257LVL tripod with the short column and hook (tripod as described is 53.8oz [3lb 5.8oz]) along with the Markins Q3 weighs only 67.2 oz (4 lb 3.2 oz). Below is a thread that I started here about the Markins Q3:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=23700

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

I see that Naturephoto1 and I have had the same findings with the 1228 and the newer 1257. One thing that that should not be overlooked is how much faster it is to set up the newer non-rotation legs than a 4 section 1228 or 5 section Traveler. You can fully unlock and extend the legs with one twist per leg set with the Carbon-X series. Dosen't sound like much reading it here, but in the NE woods it sure is helpful.

Look at the Linhof 3449 Profi Port, much sturdier than the Traveler series and folds up nearly as compact. I have been using one of these for travel for a year + and am vry pleased. It has limitations of course but that is the tradeoff you make for something you can fit inside a carryon bag and still ahve room for clothes.

How about Gitzo 1157? Is that good enough for a 3 lbs camera with a 90mm f/6.8 lens?
    Is there any light weight tripod head (not necessary ball head) takes arca swiss plate?
    where can I find the price of linhof 3449?

Scott Davis

I have a Bogen/Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod (I can't recall the exact model number off the top of my head- will look it up when I get home). I have used it with my Shen Hao 4x5 and I still use it with my Canham woodfield 5x7 with no issues. I even used it (ONCE) with my old Calumet C-1 8x10, and it did an adequate job supporting the camera. I wouldn't do it again with something that big though. I have the Gitzo 12-series low-profile magnesium head on it and that works great with anything I put on top of it.

5 leg section mean that the lowest sections would be very thin, all for compactness rather than any significant weight savings. I'd go with the 1127 instead. I've used it in the past sporadically with my 5x7.

Quote Originally Posted by QT Luong View Post
    5 leg section mean that the lowest sections would be very thin, all for compactness rather than any significant weight savings. I'd go with the 1127 instead. I've used it in the past sporadically with my 5x7.

I think 1157 is the new 6X 3 section tripod, the replacement of 1127.