Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adobe CS3 released

Re: Adobe CS3 released

I have found CS3 beta and Bridge to run faster on both my PCs and Intel Macs than CS2 did. I agree with Henry, I hated Bridge until I got the new beta version. The new Camera Raw is superb to with many more tools and adjustments.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Thanks for the input. I haven't anything to compare to Bridge. New image folders load slowly, but I find it worth the wait.

CS3 is in "preorder" status with Adobe. I placed an order for the boxed version and the web-generated receipt states that estimated delivery is 4/16/07. I purchased the upgrade from CS2 for $199; for an additional $12 you can order a dead-tree version of the manual - for what that's worth.

Marko, your sales commission check is "in the mail".

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    I hope they fixed Bridge. I find that it has a heck of a time with TIFF files, and is slow with large files. My Mac "Finder" does a better job generating thumbnails than Bridge. They probably call out to the OS for that anyway, so why not just use the OS for browsing anyhow.
    Ken,

Did you try to optimize Bridge performance?

Under Preferences - Thumbnails there is a whole "Performance" section. If you pick "Quick Thumbnails" and choose the maximum file size to process judiciously, you should feel an immediate boost.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric James View Post
    Marko, your sales commission check is "in the mail".
    Lol, tell that to Adobe... It would sure be nice if they listened, but then I probably wouldn't/shouldn't be commenting in public.

hmmmmm........

I was thinking that Lightroom was pretty OK. But the version I had did funny conversions on high contrast things like wires and tree limbs against the sky so I ditched it pretty quick. It'll be good to see what the final release of PS is like. I look forward to it and guess I'll try Bridge again then. But I think I can do those things that QT mentions in Photo Mechanic while PS is running. I don't know, I haven't tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post

Pricing is as usual: expensive.
    be thankful you don't live in UK - the main bundle costs 1k usd more!
    http://www.amanwithapencil.com/adobe.html

and these are all pretax prices...

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    Under Preferences - Thumbnails there is a whole "Performance" section. If you pick "Quick Thumbnails" and choose the maximum file size to process judiciously, you should feel an immediate boost.
    Wonderful - That did the trick.

Marko sees all... Marko knows all !

Thanks !

I just bought CS2 six weeks before debut of CS3 thinking I was close enough to get a free upgrade, but they're still knicking me the full $200. Arrgh!

If you're on a Mac, you will probably want to upgrade to CS3.

CS2 has a memory leak on the Mac platform (discussed in earlier threads), which have been fixed in CS3.

I received CS3 on my doorstep yesterday. The new Bridge is great and chugs along just fine on my PowerBookG4. The magnifying glass saves me a double click and a wait to evaluate a file’s sharpness at "actual pixels". The Bridge layout was initially an insult to my ageing adaptability, but 24hr later I'm thinking it's more intuitive.

I'm a little worried about the USM algorithm(s) - has anyone noticed a change in sensitivity of the "amount (&#37" setting. I suppose "worried" is a bit of an overstatement - maybe I just need to a new learn a new gestalt.

I've read comments that suggest that CS3 slows your multitasking world down - I am a bit worried about this.