Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Traditional B&W prints from digital input

Re: Traditional B&W prints from digital input

Hi Ralph
    Laura Barney and I just got back yesterday, 21 days on the road and glad to be home.
    First off I would like to say that New Mexico is one of the most wonderful spots in the World and I would like to spend more time in your neck of the woods.Next time we are bringing a RV and you can show us some nice spots to photograph.

Since there have been some positive and negative responses to this new paper , I will try to answer some of the questions and as well put in my .2cents re this technology.

Just like any printing process , garbage in , garbage out. Probably the most critical aspect of printing . if the neg, file is contaning abberations then you will see it in the final print.
    I do not think the cameras*digital* have matured enough as yet and we will gradually see a long build up of quality as time goes on. I believe this is a very slick marketing program that all the manufacturers are salivating about.* original file size is very important with this process ,not manufactured file size, and our whole photo world is pushing towards the Big Print and that is where I see most of the lunchbag letdown.
    Also with this paper you are using a glossy material that will not hide defects in the print.
    My experience now is about 1500 prints or files on the Lambda and the variety of different quality input files is staggering.

Regarding the process. I do hand print every image off the lambda with the exact sequence that I would use for an enlarger print. Very Large trays, lots and lots of chemicals and in total darkness with protective glasses and a jump suit to ward off the splashing chemicals.
    The paper is actually Gallerie G4 with an extra red sensitivey and is able to read RGB laser exposure , think of it as panalure on steroids. The paper is thicker than almost all other fibre papers I currently use.
    Toning is the same as any print, you just need to test and see how you like the variety of tones available.

Pricing. I do not apologize for the price of our prints , digital or analogue. In fact a hand enlarger print is more expensive in our shop than the Lambda Print. I base our price on the time it takes to make a print and the skill I have aquired over 30years of printing, not the base cost of the paper and chemicals.

By this time next year I imagine new developments on the input side as well as Elevators own experiences will improve and I am quite excited to be on a learning curve.

*What really suprises me is why a Lambda is not on site at any of the Photo Schools . I do think this would be the best decision an institution could make. It definately would save the wet darkrooms, as we all know they are being torn down at a scary rate.*

Percentage of digital to fibre. question.
    Obviously the commercial world is moving totally digital, but I have to say Elevators traditional hand prints are holding their own to lambda prints, I believe this will always be the case for my Lab, as I love the enlargers I have and have no intention of getting rid of them and to stop using them.

Ilford is launching the paper this month in the UK with a huge show of David Baileys work and I hope the show works well for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    Last year, Ilford Photo (Harman Technologies, the management group that bought the Ilford B&W product lines) announced two traditional silver-based enlarging papers (RC and fiber-base) that are optimized for printing digital files, and designed for exposure in tri-color laser systems like the Lambda printers. These papers, obviously, are aimed at the large printing shops that cater to the digital market (or both digital and traditional), as the Lambda machines cost about a half a $mil.

Yesterday, Bob Carnie, a member here and one of the owner/operators of Elevator, a digital and traditional printing lab in Toronto, dropped by my place on his way to the Silver Conference in the L.A. area. He brought with him a sampling of prints that he'll exhibit at the Silver Conference. These included a number of traditional enlargements from film, mostly on fiber-based Ilford Warm Tone paper, and a dozen or so prints on the new Ilford B&W fiber paper for digital exposure.

The prints on the new Ilford digital paper were very impressive - as good as those on regular Ilford paper. And, because it's real silver paper processed in the usual archival manner, these prints would likely satisfy any gallery or museum requirements for conventional fiber-base prints.

Naturally, the size/resolution of the digital file (either direct digital capture or film scan) affects the image quality and optimal print size, but (IMHO) the Ilford prints are lovely.

The Ilford data sheet for the fiber-base paper can be found at: http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/...0142744587.pdf

Glad you made it home safely, Bob. It was a pleasure to have you and Laura drop by. I'm assuming that Barney, your dog, is a fan of the "Dog Whisperer" TV show, as he was "calm-submissive" the whole time, unlike my neighborhood roadrunner.

Naturally, you folks are welcome here any time.

Richard M. Coda

Hi Thomas:

Sorry, hadn't been checking. Yes, BowHaus is one of the places. http://www.bowhaus.com/services/lvtmain.php4 - I am no fan of inkjet negatives.

Keep this in mind. You will need a serious computer for LF work. You will need some pretty good Photoshop skills. If you don't have them, I really do recommend Dan Burkholder's book "Making Digital Negatives for Contact Printing". I disregard the inkjet stuff... but the PS tips alone are worth the price of the book. http://www.danburkholder.com

Rich
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"