Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuji Velvia 50 Mk II

Re: Fuji Velvia 50 Mk II

can anyone comment on the difference between MKII rvp 50 and the original?

Hi Scott,

I do not think that anyone has any idea. I am not sure who has any of the MKII Protype film to try to make any comparison. Even with the prototype, I do not know how it will compare with the production film.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

Quote Originally Posted by naturephoto1 View Post
    Hi Scott,

I do not think that anyone has any idea. I am not sure who has any of the MKII Protype film to try to make any comparison. Even with the prototype, I do not know how it will compare with the production film.

Rich
    thanks, rich. i guess we'll just wait and see. i've switched to provia and even some astia recently, as i'm finding they scan better than velvia. i wonder if the 'newest' velvia will be an improvement in that area... we'll see.

View Camera has some of the older Velvia 50 and will compare it to the new version as soon as we get some of the new film.

steve simmons

Steve, I'll probably attempt the same comparison in 35mm format, but I realize that storage and film life are insurmountable variables to making many solid conclusions. Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Calahan View Post
    Will they sell an 8x10 version?
    According to a press release dated Mar. 15 at Fuji Japan site, the new Velvia (Velvia50 Professional) will be available in 8x10. It also lists 5x7 as a special-order item. Although it doesn't guarantee they will be available in any market, I expect Badger and others can/will get them in the U.S.

As to 35mm, Fuji will continue selling current products (I assume 100/100F) for the time being and "consider" switching to the new film based on the evaluation of inventory. It's a little unclear, but my interpretation is they want to make some assessments in the small format--the film-digital balance, which film to keep/drop, etc.--while selling off what they have.

I am really looking forward to this film as Velvia is my all time favorite film. The 100F never even came close. The Velvia 100 which was hailed as "exactly the same but faster" was a big disapointment. First I found that I had to shoot it as a 160 speed film or you would be way overexposed (and that was in three formats in four cameras). Plus it just lacked the wonderful "glow" that Velvia had.

Fuji had a "new Coke" moment and I am glad they are bringing back the classic.

Cannot wait to get some. I hope when they say "same", that it really is.

Japan Exposures

Actually, you are right, it will be available in 10x8 and 5x7. The flyer says the same as the press release, but for some reason the rep at the trade show only told me about 120/220 and 4x5.

Old Velvia 50 is still available in 35mm and 10x8, so if you want to compare, there is still a way to get old RVP.

Quote Originally Posted by c marks View Post
    The Velvia 100 which was hailed as "exactly the same but faster" was a big disapointment. First I found that I had to shoot it as a 160 speed film or you would be way overexposed
    I don't know what your style is, but I've always shot both Velvia 100 and 100F at exactly 100, and not found any problems with overexposure.

Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    I don't know what your style is, but I've always shot both Velvia 100 and 100F at exactly 100, and not found any problems with overexposure.
    Then you had better luck than me. I used Velvia 100 in two different 35mm bodies, my Mamiya, and shot sheets. I shoot landscapes and found that across all four that exposing as an ASA100 film it was overexposed. Tried shooting at 125, got better. Tried 160 and got best. This was in cameras that are spot on for all other film. It was a very frustrating experience.

Then even after getting the exposure found, I still did not like the quality of the colors. And that is the worst part by far. Velvia 50 has this certain glow that 100F and the 100 lacked for me.

Still have a few boxes of 50 left and look forward to Velvia II