Thread: Glossy paper for black and white digital prints

Glossy paper for black and white digital prints

I have been using an HP printer and HP Photosatin paper. I think this is the best non-glossy combo for black and white, as long as you are not worried because the prints might only last 80 years. But last night I fed some HP glossy paper through, thinking about a piece Pete Meyers did on printing on high gloss film. What a revelation. The prints sparkle.

What I am curious about is why there is so much focus on matte and pearl papers - is it because the Epson pigment printers, which dominate the market, cannot print on glossy without bronzing issues? The HP dye inks sink right in and look more like an old ferrotyped print that an modern RC glossy print. (Someone else can explain ferrotyping to the younger members of the list.)

Re: Glossy paper for black and white digital prints

I use HP Premium Plus Photo paper with a HP 7960, and prefer the "soft gloss" surface. It apears to have a more "in the paper" than "on the paper" apperance. My "friendly competator" next door prefers full gloss for his B&W, but I find that it depends on the particular image.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I print on glossy and luster papers (as well as art papers) with my Epsons and they are great. There is not any significant bronzing issue with Epson's K3 inks, and I've actually seen a lot more bronzing in B&W out of HP printers. So to answer your question, I think it is personal preference which drives paper choice for most. I've personally just never enjoyed glossy B&W prints, and even in wet darkroom days I never ferrotyped the gloss papers as I preferred the air-dried surface.

Cheers,
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Jack,

I would probably opt for the classic air-dried glossy look, but I have not seen an inkjet paper that really captures that look. I have only had experience with the HP 130, which does not have bronzing issues, but it may be an issue with other HP printers.