Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: camera bag for 8x10

Re: camera bag for 8x10

This bag looks good but I can't tell what size it is...

inside : 35x52x17cm
    a 8x10 sinar norma fits in it !

f64 works well for me (wista 8x10, film holders, 5x7 reducing back, lenses, etc.). But the weak link in all of the packs I've looked at is carrying the tripod. Either it's too far back (straped in center), or the load is lopsided (there's a limited ability to counter-balance the tripod weight because of size of 8x10 outfit fills most of the pack) if carried on the side. Slung below the pack width-wise is usually too wide, plus the weight is too low, and slung along the top doesn't work well as none of the packs have a good setup for this. I end up carrying mine in my hands, and the wrists and arms get tired after a bit. Not a lot of thought has gone into carrying tripod for these packs unfortunately.

I guess that it depends on your priorities. For my Wehman 8x10 I wanted a back pack, but not an expensive, serious "I could climb a mountain with this thing!" pack. I made a cardboard box the same size as the Wehman and spent a couple of weeks visiting stores to see what they had. I ended up with a Spaulding day pack from Kmart for $20. The Wehman, along with the focusing cloth, fits easily into the main compartment. There's another compartment into which go my two lenses on lensboards (in padded wraps), loupe, notepad, cable releases, filters and filter holder, etc. Finally, there's one more small compartment which carries my meter, blow-bulb, and so on. It has a mesh pocket for a bottle of water and room for a couple of film holders if I wanted to put them in (I prefer a seperate, padded bag for my film holders, though.) The tripod is on a sling and goes over one shoulder; film holders in an insulated cooler bag balance it out by going over the other. Works well for a couple of miles at least.

Wore myself out last weekend, but that was just me overdoing it. Too much of a couch potato over the winter: as I "mature" I have to learn to ease back into physical activities after a long layoff.

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by MIke Sherck View Post
    I ended up with a Spaulding day pack from Kmart for $20.
    I would recommend sticking to high quality brand names in backpacks. Everyone uses the same cloth but many bags/packs can't handle loads over time and the seams start to seperate. A lot of these bags are made in China.

I had it happen to me with a soft brief case I was given. It looked good and felt sturdy but I had no need for it. I ended up using it to carry my jumper cables in the back of my truck. I hardly ever moved them but the bag started falling apart within six months. I had to throw it away.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank R View Post
    I would recommend sticking to high quality brand names in backpacks. Everyone uses the same cloth but many bags/packs can't handle loads over time and the seams start to seperate. A lot of these bags are made in China.
    Well, I am also looking for a good backapck for my 4x5 field setup. Just recently I had a look on a Lowepro backpack - it was Compu-trekker (the only lowepro the give shop had available at a time) - and it was also signed - Made in China .....

But I do agree - I had a look on some "low name" photo backpacks and would get none of them for harder use..

Confidently Agnostic!

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    I have a Lowepro Phototrekker AW as well. Its a heavy duty piece of gear and certainly can carry a lot of 8x10 stuff!
    Not to ressurect a dead thread or anything, but I am thinking about this with my first 8x10 camera on the way.

I have the phototrekker AWII for my 4x5 system and it's already pretty cramped with a shenhao, 9 fidelity-style holders, 2 lenses in lens wraps, and filters & meter. I was wondering if I could use it for 8x10, but I sure don't see how. Got any pictures of yours?

8x10s vary a lot. My Shen FCL will fit a laptop/messenger style bag. With room for film holders left over. Other 8x10s might need a moving van.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Metcalf View Post
    But the weak link in all of the packs I've looked at is carrying the tripod. Either it's too far back (straped in center), or the load is lopsided (there's a limited ability to counter-balance the tripod weight because of size of 8x10 outfit fills most of the pack) if carried on the side. Slung below the pack width-wise is usually too wide, plus the weight is too low, and slung along the top doesn't work well as none of the packs have a good setup for this. I end up carrying mine in my hands, and the wrists and arms get tired after a bit....
    I agree with Paul, I have tried several brands of packs, including regular hiking backpacks assuming they are easier on the back than traditional photographic backpacks...they all work well enough to a certain degree but the tripod, given its shape and weight, specially one that can hold up an 810, just doesn't sit well any where on any packs; far side of the pack-it's too far from the center of gravity, on the top-the pack surface is thing thus the tripod weight rests on either lenses or accessories(I assume everyone packs the same way, the camera on the bottom while the lens sits on top), either side of the pack creates serious in balance in weight distribution.

The way I see it, is some sort of pack that wraps around the tripod so the tripod sits on the same weight plane relative and close to the back...but this mean both the wide side of the camera and the holders have to sit will need to sit either 90 degree or 45 degree to the back, thus creating a much thicker(higher) pack...

I wonder if the military has any better solution since they do deal with large and heavy pieces on top of their backpacks

Quote Originally Posted by fuegocito View Post

I wonder if the military has any better solution since they do deal with large and heavy pieces on top of their backpacks
    That would be the Large ALICE pack used in the arctic (among other places) It can hold more than most people can safely carry. I tried one for awhile with home made padding but it didn't really work that well as a camera bag for me. Maybe a better solution (if you want to pursue the military surplus route) is a pack board in conjunction with a hard suitcae fitted for your gear---pack boards have become more difficult to find these days. IMHO the best ones were the moulded plywood versions but like I said, they're rare.

For carrying an 8x10 tripod long dstance, I'd opt for a rifle sling.

By far the best solution for packing an 8x10 in the woods is a mule!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White