Thread: "The Vanishing Image"

"The Vanishing Image"

Some of you may remember the TV show Kung Fu - it was a favorite of my childhood. FYI and enjoyment: There is an episode from season three called "The Vanishing Image" that deals with a view camera landscape photographer. In the episode he is dying from the health effects of his technique, but he is determined to continue his craft to there very end. The actor was nominated for an Emmy Award for his portrayal of the photographer.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Re: "The Vanishing Image"

6. "The Vanishing Image" (Prod #166256) December 20, 1974 - Caine seeks out a dying photographer (Lew Ayres: nominated for an Emmy for the performance) who might be able to identify Danny in a group photograph. Meanwhile, Caine is tracked down by another Chinese assassin and the old man is tracked by an Indian who believes the camera has stolen his spirit.
    Amazon.com has the complete third season for $30.

The only part of that show I remember was the native American who thought the camera stole his soul. Caine handled it pretty well, with giving the photograph back to the elements.

Bumping this up, because I think that many of the traditional landscape photographers here will enjoy this episode - Kung Fu, or not. I'd be happy to a loan out my copy to a trustworthy forum member. Brian has first dibs, if for no other reason, he lives down the road from my father. Send me a PM if interested.

I don't recall that particular episode, even though I was a fairly avid fan of the series. The episode's concept, however, also makes an interesting point about what people were willing to knowingly (or, not) sacrifice for their chosen profession in those days. I can't imagine anyone today becoming ill for the sake of their art without suing everyone in sight for a bazillion bucks.

Sounds pretty interesting. I'll have to see about getting it.

Scott Davis

search for it on Youtube or some of the other web video sources- you might be able to find the single episode without having to buy the whole season.

They were probably right in casting DC over BL, since, for the purposes of the story line, Caine was a "half-breed". I know little about Kung Fu or any martial art, but I understand that Carradine was a disciplined actor and lived the part for much of the filming. He played the role of a monk, and Lee was all raw athlete in my mind.

Watching as a kid, the 2-3 action scenes per episode thrilled me and my untrained eye. I'm not sure that Bruce Lee's acting talent could have conjured up the same mystic - of course, they would not have had to resort to slowing down the motion to heighten the dramatic effect!

"Who can say?"

My favorite? In "Under Sieige" when Steven Segal (who kind of knows martial arts) surprises Erika Eleniak as she plays a stripper coming out of a cake (she was a Playboy playmate and was photographed with a view camera). Whew!! The parallels are mind boggling!!

try "alluc dot com" ... there may be the episode on there

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    ... also makes an interesting point about what people were willing to knowingly (or, not) sacrifice for their chosen profession in those days. I can't imagine anyone today becoming ill for the sake of their art without suing everyone in sight for a bazillion bucks.
    I used to work as a rock musician, and saw lots of people poison themselves with alchohol & drugs to get more into their music. Phil Lesh of the Grateful Dead has a wonderful book, "Searching for the Sound", in which he details the destruction of several of his friends and associates, and of his own health woes, due to this toxic mixture of chemicals and artistic expression. And it doesn't have to be just recreational uses of chemicals. Painters, sculptors and printers knowingly work with dangerous substances heedlessly, until they start getting reactions from their weak flesh. Anybody allergic to Metol out there? What'll you do, sue Kodak? Or how about those sports champions who willingly submit themselves to punishing injury week after week on the field? How many football players put up with Astroturf over concrete, because that's what they do, that's the life they choose, injury and all.