Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Focusing cloth question

blanco_y_negro

Re: Focusing cloth question

Wives and LF don't mix well

The one I got when I was at the Formulary has magnets that stick to the front standard Of my V-8.

I used the BTZS cloth for a number of years until Keith Walklet came up with the Black jacket now I use that as my primary and a BTZS as a backup. You can find out ore about the Blackjacket in other threads hee and at their web site http://www.quietworks.com/

KW also sells a "Tweener"-sized Black Jacket if your back standard/ ground glass is on the large size for 4X5. It a great product!

You might consider having a look at the Ebony Camera website - their dark cloths (2 sizes) can be attached to the shade clamp with velcro. I'm not suggesting that you invest in this system, but seeing it may give you some ideas.

I know a LFer who uses a clothes pin to secure his cloth on the underside of his camera - this serves to block out extranious light. A small binder clamp would probably work well for this application.

I use a lightweight anorak which means I can keep weight down and keep dry if it rains. I only it for focusing and then just look directly at the unshielded screen, unless the sun is shining directly on the screen. Ideally I would like a screen hood such as one might find on a Graflex (I have an Ebony RSW). For my photography - mostly landscape - f22 and slight front tilt means that grovelling in the corners with a lupe is not required. - regards JayDee

Quote Originally Posted by John Berry View Post
    The one I got when I was at the Formulary has magnets that stick to the front standard Of my V-8.
    Is that your wife or your darkcloth?

Small bungee cord thingee with a built in clip at both ends. No idea where I found it. Can hang it on tripod adjusting handles or clip it under the camera (cloth over the top) for shade when needed. Wind can't take it anywhere. Works great.

I use the Ebony lens shade clip that goes with their rather nice all-weather darkcloth. It still has the disadvantage of being a sail in high wind, but I don't leave the darkcloth attached after focussing if there's any wind.

I sewed my own darkcloth, with two layers of black fabric and one white. I think the weight of all that fabric helps a lot. I added Velcro to one end to close it around the camera, and part way down the sides to allow making it into a tube. I keep a few clothespins in the camera bag to help it needed.

I use both the BTZS tube type Focusing Cloth which I already had and the Hybrid Blackjacket. The BTZS and the original Blackjacket Focusing Cloths weigh about 8oz but the more breathable Hybrid Blackjacket Focusing Cloth for 4 X 5 weighs closer to 18oz. I have the Hybrid Blackjacket for more humid conditions and when weight is not an issue. I may purchase the the original Blackjacket in the future to replace the BTZS Focusing Cloth for my light weight cloth, but for now it is fine.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com