Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice on Monument Valley

Re: Advice on Monument Valley

Not to state the obvious, but if you are pressed for time, this view is only a few minutes drive down the road from the visitor center--just be sure to arrange some clouds in the afternoon

A guide is a big help. It would be nice if someone here could recommend a guide to you. I've used two, the first was hired from one of the booths outside the visitor center and he was terrible - we hired him for half a day and paid in advance. The half day was supposed to begin at noon but he ran on Navajo time and didn't show up until about 4:00. We had time for Teardrop Rock before dark and that was about it. The second one was great, the friend I was with knew of him and we booked him in advance. I wish I could give you his name but I don't have the information. Perhaps somebody else here could recommend someone to you. But unless you just want to photograph from the (very dusty) road, a guide is a necessity in my limited (two visits) experience so you might just take your chances with the booths outside the visitors center.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

The "Back Door" of Monument valley is one of the best morning shots. It is at the farthest point east in the park and looks across the valley from the back. Problem with sunrise is they don't let people in early enough to catch it unless you pay for a ride. But if you get up early enough there is a side road on the left that bypasses the visitor center and connects up with the park road. I've used it a couple of times without problems. And if you stay at the primitive campgrounds it is the only way to get to them when the gates are closed. These campgrounds are to the left of the center and park road and has no gate. Also there is a nice view of the totems at sunset or sunrise.