Thread: Polaroid 45 Ultra - Help needed

Polaroid 45 Ultra - Help needed

I recently purchased used Polaroid SprintScan 45 Ultra on eBay. I'm extremely happy with the quality of scans, fine detail rendition etc. However, my colors seem to be way off - like some magenta cast, and sky colors look weird too. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to improve the color reproduction. I shoot 4x5 on Velvia 100 and scan them using SilverFast AI. I also tried to install Vuescan but it can't find the scanner (although the doc says that SprintScan 45 Ultra is supported).
    If anyone has any experience with this scanner and can share some tips, I'll appreciate it.

Thanks a lot!

Eugene.

Re: Polaroid 45 Ultra - Help needed

eugene, have you calibrated it with an IT8 target yet?

No, I haven't, I'm just trying to get it looking good, not nessesary "true". Does calibrating make a really big difference?

i can't speak from personal experience, but according to a friend of mine who uses a UMAX scanner, calibrating his scanner made a huge difference. i am assuming you are viewing the scans on a calibrated monitor, if not, this discussion is academic, as the scanner might be spot on, but your displays could be showing inaccurate colors.

Java, you really should calibrate it with the IT8 target. It's notjust a case "true" its a case of helping the scanner 'know' where to place color values against a known reference. Yes,it really makes a big difference.

I had problems with my 45 Ultra, streaks caused by dust on the mirrors. I fixed it by:
    I took the fan out and put it back reversed, so it sucks out instead of blowing (dust) in.
    I covered the ventilation holes with material from a paper vacuum cleaner bag
    I use the scanner upside down so dust has to fall up onto the mirrors
    It is not too difficult to take the mirrors out to clean, but be carefull, easy to slip and scratch them. They are held in by spring clips, its easy to get them back a bit crooked.
    No more streaks!

OK, seems like I really need to purchase an IT8 target. Then I have another question - what's the difference between various IT8 targets and how do I know which one I need? There are targets on Kodak and Fuju Provia - can I use one of those or do I need to order custom IT8 on Velvia? Are there any difference between targets sold by LaserSoft and other companies - that is, if I use SilverFast, do I need the target from LaserSoft or others are the same?
    Sorry for asking dumb questions, but it's my first steps in film scanning - I used Canon DSLRs for abut 6 years and now I'm switching to 4x5

Thanks a lot!