Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nikkor SW 90mm or Grandagon 90mm?

Re: Nikkor SW 90mm or Grandagon 90mm?

Nick, When I was shopping for my 4x5" lenses I called Jim Andracki at Midwest Photo Exchange and asked about a Symmar-S and Super Angulon. He offered a Sironar-N and Grandagon with the comment that they were the "same thing". A lot of wisdom there. Modern examples from any of the "big four" will provide outstanding results. The half-stop here and few grams there are really the biggest differences. I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Wood View Post
    I've tried to get some information on the Nikkor, but there's not a lot out there. One of my main questions is the size of the front filter thread. I've got several 67mm filters which I use on my 210mm Rodenstock and also on my MF Rollei lenses. I know the Grandagon 6.8 has a 67mm thread, but what size is the Nikkor?

Weight is not so much of an issue for me, so I just want to know which gives the best results - or indeed if they're as good as each other (in which case I would probably opt for the Grandagon due to it being a tad faster).
    I use Nikkor SW 90mm f8, it has 67mm filter. I believe this is not an amateurish question. I like Nikkors because of their color rendition, and wider coverage (it covers 5x7 better than both rodenstock and SK). If you buy the nikkor SW 90mm f8 used, please make sure it has the shim between the front cell and the shutter.
    hope this helps.

Nick I certainly did not intend to be offensive. I can only give advice that I personally would have like to have received. Anything else is blind speculation. In any case, 640 pardons! :-)

Hey Nick,

Just sent you a PM with a lead on a Nikkor f4.5....

Colin,

My response was to GPS, not yourself. Sorry, for 640 read 613.

My thanks to all of you (well, nearly all) for your advice.

Nick

Funny how fashions change...! 10-15 years ago SCHNEIDER was the one to have... people would scoff at you for using a Roddy or, god forbid one should stoop so low as to use a Nikkor (as if suddenly you'd be associated with the throngs of press photogs using Nikkors). LF snobbery...! Aaahhhh...

In the meantime lets hope I can liberate myself from stooping to reply to such a puerile response, and hope that your other 640 posts aren't as equally astounding in their paucity of assistance!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Well said.
    Ditto!

Nick, besides Midwest Photo Exchange you might want to try KEH.
    http://www.keh.com/onlinestore/home.aspx
    I purchased a 90mm F8 Fujinon last April and found the product as described and a fair price. I've been pleased with the lens too. Best of luck on whatever lens you choose and remember there are no dumb questions when starting out in lf (well hardly any )
    For the most part members of this forum are supportive and I've found most generous in sharing their knowledge over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Graham View Post
    I agree with GPS on this one, there is so much myth perpetuated on forums about lenses it is liberating once you are shut of it. When I started out I had to have this and that lens. Wish I could have those agonized moments and dollars back! There really are few that have actually compared these lenses to one another in any meaningful way and most of them agree it's impossible to tell them apart. Of my favorite lenses one is first generation single coated and scratched all to hell and the second is one few have even heard of...(But the grandagon is a sweet lens! )
    Well said.

I had a Grandagon 90mm and I sold it because I wanted wider. It's a nice lens but I only used it for two images. I love my Grandagon 75 and won't trade it even though I'd like a bit more coverage. The Nikkor seems awesome because of the coverage vs weight ratio, but the images you take with either will be fine. I rarely run into coverage limits with my 75 (I tried to make an image of a church and that's when I did) when I shoot landscape. I assume if I used a 90, that would be the case also. Decide if you need the coverage, then get one based on price and availability would be my suggestion.
    Laurent

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    It could take a whole photographic carrier to be able to differentiate between the two lenses - and still it would be largely just a personal opinion. This kind of questions is the direct consequence of amateurish opinions divulged happily in all photographic forums. The sooner you liberate yourself from these opinions the better for you.
    One could also spend one's whole photographic carrier to realize that:

1. Most lenses are better than most photographers.

2. There's no stupid questions, only stupid answers.

Or perhaps not...