Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nikkor SW 90mm or Grandagon 90mm?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Nikkor SW 90mm or Grandagon 90mm?

Trying to obtain my first 90mm lens. Had a couple of dissappointments from the auction site, although fortunately managed to get my money back, so I'm thinking of just biting the bullet and buying new.

I notice from the landscape lens review on this site that both John Sparks and Kerry Thalmann chose the Nikkor as their preferred 90mm lens, with no mention of Rodenstock (or indeed Schneider).

I've tried to get some information on the Nikkor, but there's not a lot out there. One of my main questions is the size of the front filter thread. I've got several 67mm filters which I use on my 210mm Rodenstock and also on my MF Rollei lenses. I know the Grandagon 6.8 has a 67mm thread, but what size is the Nikkor?

Weight is not so much of an issue for me, so I just want to know which gives the best results - or indeed if they're as good as each other (in which case I would probably opt for the Grandagon due to it being a tad faster).

Any experience/advice?

Thanks.

Nick

Re: Nikkor SW 90mm or Grandagon 90mm?

Nick:
    Nikkor has two 90mm SW lenses, an f4.5 and an f8. The f8 uses 67mm filters and the f4.5 82mm filters. I have both and like them. They are fine lenses. If you can live with a slightly darker view on the GG, the f8 is an excellent performer and is highly recommended by many. The f4.5 also performs well but is somewhat heavier (600gr vs 360gr) and more expensive. If I had to choose between the two I have, I would opt for the f8. I use it a lot for backpacking. I use the f4.5 for shots near the car which I do less often given that I shoot mostly landscapes.
    Cheers,
    Dave B.

Nick... as a manufacturer of cameras that lean heavily on the 90mm focal length, I have had the opportunity to see many very large prints produced by all of them. In my opinion, there is not a bad one in the bunch. Of those with a 67mm filter thread I would be hard pressed to differentiate the quality difference between the Fuji f8, Nikon f8, Rodenstock 6.8, or Schneider f8. Sadly, only the Rodenstock remains in current production.

It could take a whole photographic carrier to be able to differentiate between the two lenses - and still it would be largely just a personal opinion. This kind of questions is the direct consequence of amateurish opinions divulged happily in all photographic forums. The sooner you liberate yourself from these opinions the better for you.

GPS:
    I am having a hard time understanding what it is you think we all actually do in this forum. The rest of us think that it is a place where we can ask questions about LF lenses and help each other as best we can, especially newcomers who need our help the most. It provides a chance to both learn and teach.
    Don't you have something better to do with your time than lurk around here and insult us for using the forum for its intended purpose?
    Cheers,
    Dave B.

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    It could take a whole photographic carrier to be able to differentiate between the two lenses - and still it would be largely just a personal opinion. This kind of questions is the direct consequence of amateurish opinions divulged happily in all photographic forums. The sooner you liberate yourself from these opinions the better for you.
    One could also spend one's whole photographic carrier to realize that:

1. Most lenses are better than most photographers.

2. There's no stupid questions, only stupid answers.

Or perhaps not...

Smile Re: Nikkor SW 90mm or Grandagon 90mm?

This kind of questions is the direct consequence of amateurish opinions divulged happily in all photographic forums. The sooner you liberate yourself from these opinions the better for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    One could also spend one's whole photographic carrier to realize that:

1. Most lenses are better than most photographers.

2. There's no stupid questions, only stupid answers.

Or perhaps not...
    Marko, whoever reads my answer can see that in no way I added any adjectif to the original question. If most of your lenses are better than you as a photographer it's entirely up to your judgement. Personally, I don't compete in any way with my lenses as they are just tools that I use and I don't care if they are better than you or anybody else.
    I agree with you that some answers are stupid ... ;-)

Marko, whoever reads my answer can see that in no way I added any adjectif to the original question. If most of your lenses are better than you as a photographer it's entirely up to your judgement. Personally, I don't compete in any way with my lenses as they are just tools that I use and I don't care if they are better than you or anybody else.
    I agree with you that some answers are stupid ... ;-)

Q.E.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    There's no stupid questions, only stupid answers.
    With no offense meant to anyone.... I was always told: "There are no stupid questions, but there are plenty of inquizative idiots." I'm firmly in that category myself.

If it is an insulting thought for you that a novice could be freed from useless fears by well intended advice you can: take a bear, go to your doc, dance on your head or whatever else...